Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad HDMI lighting connector issues

Got the official connector. Big screen great for seeing iPad. BBC iPlayer works fine - blank screen on iPad but ok on tv. All4 not supported on 2nd screen. 5 works for the first ad, then stops. ITV get sound only. How do I get catch up on other channels than BBC?

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 2:43 AM

As described, your Apple Lightning to HDMI Adapter is working as expected.

Each of the replay service Apps that you list have there own restrictions (imposed by their respective developers) on what you can and can’t play to an external screen - or download and store content for off-line replay on your device. All4 is a classic example in that downloaded content cannot be played-back via HDMI - whereas directly streamed material can be output to HDMI.

You should contact the developer of the respective Apps to discuss and issues that you have. Only they can resolve any playback issues related to their services.

I hope this is helpful to you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2019 2:43 AM in response to Gmsapple

As described, your Apple Lightning to HDMI Adapter is working as expected.

Each of the replay service Apps that you list have there own restrictions (imposed by their respective developers) on what you can and can’t play to an external screen - or download and store content for off-line replay on your device. All4 is a classic example in that downloaded content cannot be played-back via HDMI - whereas directly streamed material can be output to HDMI.

You should contact the developer of the respective Apps to discuss and issues that you have. Only they can resolve any playback issues related to their services.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Dec 19, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Gmsapple

I included an outline of what you might expect, as they are often different, between streaming and download/playback. Sooner or later, you would discover some differences and inevitably return here to ask (always welcome of course!).

Very often the streamed video quality can appear sub-par (as compared to downloaded content) when viewing on a large screen - this often the case with BBC iPlayer content. This experience is often a trigger to try download/replay in preference to direct streaming.

Download/playback is often preferred if you suffer network buffering issues - when again, the direct video stream often switches to a lower quality (or greater compression). This behaviour is intended to provide a graceful degradation in video quality instead of just stopping or pausing to buffer - but often just makes content unwatchable on a large screen.

Likewise, many owners believe they have a fault when they see differences between the various video replay services - as, often, they expect the same user-experience and features for all. Sadly, this is not the case.

A further difference between BBC iPlayer and the others you list...

In the UK, which I infer you to be resident from your question, BBC iPlayer does not include Commercial Adverting. The other platforms you list do so - but unlike a TV with “linear content delivery”, your streamed commercial services interrupt the playback stream to insert an [often targeted] advertising stream which you have to watch, before reinstating the original content stream. This switching often seems to cause playback interruption - particularly when attempting output to HDMI.

I hope this additional information is equally helpful to you.

IPad HDMI lighting connector issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.