Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme lan ports

All my AirPort Extreme’s LAN ports are in use for connected devices

Now I need to add a new Ethernet cable to the AirPort Extreme.

Is there an option to do something?

Thanks

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 10:57 AM

No changes are needed.

Switches are cheap consumer item now.. And you can buy the cheapest or the nicest looking or ones with the ports on one side and the lights on the other. Many many variations. Basically they are all the same internals. I like ones with metal cases. They tend to work better from heat - cooling point of view.

They mostly come in 5 8 16 24 48 ports.

Buy 8 port gigabit as it is just right .. 5 is too few since you lose 2 ports plugging in a switch. And for most people 16 is too many. It is better to plug everything into the switch.. and just use a single ethernet from switch to Airport LAN port. The reason is backplane speed of the switch is faster. Although for most home usage it does not make any difference.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2019 10:57 AM in response to rony-z

No changes are needed.

Switches are cheap consumer item now.. And you can buy the cheapest or the nicest looking or ones with the ports on one side and the lights on the other. Many many variations. Basically they are all the same internals. I like ones with metal cases. They tend to work better from heat - cooling point of view.

They mostly come in 5 8 16 24 48 ports.

Buy 8 port gigabit as it is just right .. 5 is too few since you lose 2 ports plugging in a switch. And for most people 16 is too many. It is better to plug everything into the switch.. and just use a single ethernet from switch to Airport LAN port. The reason is backplane speed of the switch is faster. Although for most home usage it does not make any difference.

Dec 20, 2019 12:28 PM in response to rony-z

30M is about the limit for gigabit on early Cat5E. It will still work but can be slower at 100Mbit.

Cat6 or Cat7 are rated to full gigabit to 100M. And usually Cat5 will also work fine even to gigabit if it is terminated properly.

A lot depends on the cables. The standard is 90M of solid core.. that is less flexible cable in the walls. And 2x5M stranded patch cables at either end. People try and use solid core for patch cables or stranded over long lengths and then get into trouble. Professionally installed cabling will give you very few issues in regular house dimensions. Even DIY is not that hard.

Airport Extreme lan ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.