Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie basics

So, I have used iMovie before but every time I go to use it it seems to have changed! This is a VERY basic question that isn't clear in the tutorial. My videos show in both the browser and the timeline. I gather I have the choice of either selecting bits of video in either the browser or the timeline. Once I select the clip, I am unsure of where to drag it to because my videos are in the timeline. I seem to recall that before, the clips were chosen in the browser and dragged in to the timeline. Here is another really basic question - what is a project and what is a movie? I apologize for asking such elementary questions but I REALLY can't find the answers when I search on line.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 8:11 AM

If you don't want the clip in the timeline, select it and press the delete button on your keyboard. That will remove it from the timeline. It will still remain displayed in the media browser, without the orange line across the bottom.

-- Rich

Similar questions

13 replies

Dec 19, 2019 9:12 PM in response to Rich839

The terms “project” and “movie” are sometimes used interchangeably. A project is a movie that is still in its editable form, i.e, timeline, preview screen, media browser, editing tools. The term “movie” can also mean a project that has been shared out (exported) and now is in non-editable form, such as a .mov or Mp4.

— Rich

Dec 20, 2019 6:26 AM in response to Rich839

Hello again,

thank you for your help. I have looked carefully at the website about iMovie. Unfortunately it is a good overview but not heavy on detail! So I was wondering if you can help at all with this part of my problem:

My videos show in both the browser and the timeline. I gather I have the choice of either selecting bits of video in either the browser or the timeline. Once I select the clip, I am unsure of where to drag it to because my videos are in the timeline. *I seem to recall that before, the clips were chosen in the browser and dragged in to the timeline.

*A little better explanation of my question perhaps - if all of my cacti always original video footage is visible in the timeline and I drag a clip there, it is then in as a part of my video footage. Does that make sense?

Dec 20, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Bonniedog

If you have a 60 second video clip in the browser and you select it and click on the plus sign that appears in the clip, all 60 seconds of that clip will be moved to the timeline. (You can also drag it to the timeline.) The clip also will remain in the browser. with an orange line across the entire bottom to indicate that you have used the entire clip in the project timeline. If you go back to the same clip in the browser, and select it, and then while holding down the r key you drag your cursor across a 10 second portion of the clip, you will create a yellow box outlining the 10 second portion of the clip that you dragged across. When you click on the plus sign (or drag the the outlined portion of the clip) that 10 second portion of the clip will be imported to the timeline along side the 60 second clip that you previously imported. As before, the entire clip will remain in the browser as well, in case you want to import it to the again later on in the movie. So, you will always have the original clip in the browser and the same clip in the timeline as many times as you want to import it in.

Does the above cover your question?

-- Rich

Dec 20, 2019 8:49 AM in response to Bonniedog

I'm not understanding. No video clips are displayed in the timeline unless you drag or import them in there. If you don't want them there then you don't drag or import them in, or you delete them by selecting them and hitting delete. Your videos will always be displayed in the browser no matter what you do to them in the timeline or whether or not you put them in the timeline.

Are you saying that iMovie is automatically placing videos in the timeline that you don't want? Can you describe your importing process, what steps you are taking to import the videos into iMovie in the first place?

-- Rich

Dec 21, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Rich839

Dear Rich,

Again, thank you for all of your help and persistence! Christmas parties got in the way yesterday of a timely reply to your information!! The final answer is working wonderfully. I will delete everything from the timeline today and get started on my movie making! I may be back to you with other basic questions. You appear to have it completely figured out so again, my appreciation for your assistance.

Warmest regards,

Nancy

iMovie basics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.