Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Timeline clips - how do I work with them?

Hi, I have made my clips and transitions on the timeline, and exported the whole file, and that's lovely, but when I try and create a new project to save out, say, one of the clips, the timeline disappears - can anyone help? I want to save individual clips and then go back and save another, but the timeline's not there any more. Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 11:23 AM

Thank you Rich - the issue was that the timeline was disappearing as I went back to the projects - but I looked again at my project thumbnail and there were three dots - with an 'open project' option - I'd never noticed that before. iMovie had simply 'closed up' my thumbnails, not eaten them. Solved!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you Rich - the issue was that the timeline was disappearing as I went back to the projects - but I looked again at my project thumbnail and there were three dots - with an 'open project' option - I'd never noticed that before. iMovie had simply 'closed up' my thumbnails, not eaten them. Solved!

Jan 13, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Wotatodo

You need to open or create a project to make the timeline appear. Go to File/New Movie and that will create a new project.

Another way is to click on the Projects button at the top of the screen, and that will open the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as icons).

Click on any project in the projects browser to open it. Or, create a new project by clicking on the large gray icon

in the top left of the projects browser screen, with the + sign in it, and then click on the "Movie" icon in the selection box that appears.

-- Rich

iMovie Timeline clips - how do I work with them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.