Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari - does "Clear History" also remove stored data?

I wanted to remove all website data.

Instead I clicked "Clear History." Which I think mainly removes the list of sites I've been to.

Then I read to actually remove those sites' data, you have to click "Remove All Website Data." And then delete the websites that show up in that list as having website data on your machine.

However, since I had already clicked "Clear History", all those websites were gone from the "Remove All Website Data" list. So I couldn't select them to clear their data.

Does that mean that "Clear History" also removes all the website data too? Or is that data now stuck on my machine somewhere and I can't delete it?

Apple's own article seems to say "Clear History" does not remove website data, like cookies and cache, etc.

I want to delete all cookies, cache and any other stuff left behind by those websites. And start fresh.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri47acf5d6/mac

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 11:38 AM

Screen shot from when I select Clear History. Notice that it does mention cookies.

You can also clear cookies by going to Safari/Preferences/Privacy/Manage Website Data and delete the cookies from there.

3 replies

Safari - does "Clear History" also remove stored data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.