Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode from a macbook pro to an imac shows a black screen

So when I plug my BRAND NEW 1 week old MacBookPro 2019 i5 13" into my 2012/2013 iMac using an APPLE BRANDED TB2-3 dongle and TB2-2 Cable, and I get a black screen. Anyway I can fix this? I just spent $75 off of this purchase and I've tried rebooting and both machines are running the same OS. Anyway You Could fix this?

Thanks,

David

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 10:39 AM

What macOS is the 2012/2013 iMac running?

Because the Apple Article > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support that was updated on Dec. 17 2019 and then archived, now states that Target Display Mode does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later"

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 10:39 AM in response to APPLEgamer407-BelovedRecords

What macOS is the 2012/2013 iMac running?

Because the Apple Article > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support that was updated on Dec. 17 2019 and then archived, now states that Target Display Mode does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later"

Dec 21, 2019 8:46 AM in response to APPLEgamer407-BelovedRecords

sorry, David, but no, I cannot fix this. Target Display mode has been removed on the latest MacBook pros(If it says Retina on it)You could try using a thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to mini DisplayPort adapter. and then a MiniDisplayport cable. your 2012/2013 iMac should work with Thunderbolt. You may also want to try presing Command, FN and F2. Usually, if there was a slim chance of it working, You'd have to either do the Command key combo or Press the Option Key, then the T key on both keyboards on Reboot. It might work with USB 3.0 or If both of them have a Gigabit Ethernet connector on board

anyways, I tried

john b

Target Display Mode from a macbook pro to an imac shows a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.