Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Target Display Mode

Hello.

I am trying to use my 2011 21.5" iMac to extend my display from my 2012 13.3" MacBook Pro, both with High Sierra, but it won't work. I tried resetting the SMC, the NVRAM, PRAM, reinstalled MacOS on both devices, used a genuine Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable, but it still won't work!

If it's a keyboard-related problem, then the model number is A1048.

I also booted both devices in Safe Mode, which made both of these devices' screens look absolutely crippled. Is there a fix for this?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 2, 2020 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 3:48 AM

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If target display mode doesn't work

If your iMac doesn't show the desktop of your other Mac, try these steps first:

1. Restart your iMac.
  2. Restart the other Mac.
  3. Unplug the Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable from the other Mac, then plug it back in.
  4. Press Command-F2 on the iMac.

If that doesn't work, try these other solutions:

• If you're currently logged in to the iMac that you want to use as a display, choose Apple menu  > Log Out to return to the login window. Then press Command-F2 again.
  • Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard. If ”Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys” is selected, target display mode uses Command-Fn-F2 instead of Command-F2. It might also help to use the keyboard that came with your iMac. Some third-party keyboards and older Apple keyboards don't support target display mode. 
  • Make sure that your iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. You can't use target display mode with later versions of macOS, or with Boot Camp and Windows.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 3:48 AM in response to tin225

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If target display mode doesn't work

If your iMac doesn't show the desktop of your other Mac, try these steps first:

1. Restart your iMac.
  2. Restart the other Mac.
  3. Unplug the Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable from the other Mac, then plug it back in.
  4. Press Command-F2 on the iMac.

If that doesn't work, try these other solutions:

• If you're currently logged in to the iMac that you want to use as a display, choose Apple menu  > Log Out to return to the login window. Then press Command-F2 again.
  • Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard. If ”Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys” is selected, target display mode uses Command-Fn-F2 instead of Command-F2. It might also help to use the keyboard that came with your iMac. Some third-party keyboards and older Apple keyboards don't support target display mode. 
  • Make sure that your iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. You can't use target display mode with later versions of macOS, or with Boot Camp and Windows.

May 2, 2020 5:44 PM in response to BDAqua

I find I have best results when the Target Display Mode computer is at the login screen. I then restart the master/main computer and many times it will connect and work.

If it doesn’t work, I then unplug the cable from the back of the master/main computer for a few seconds, plug back in and the TDM computer/screen will switch over in 5 to 10 seconds.

Ive also had a lot of issues with 3rd party keyboards not activating TDM when F2 is pressed.

Not sure any of this will work, but nothing else seems have either.

Problems with Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.