Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.cleverfiles : Are they really?

Do we think we can delete this 608GB of Data?

I ask this after reading this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5808054

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 7:13 AM

You have, or at one time did, CleverFiles' Disk Drill on your Mac. That's a bunch of recovery data it saves and is not needed in the least if you already have real backups (Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, etc.).

Supposedly, you can turn it off. From a discussion I found elsewhere:

Just go to Disk Drill -> Your drive -> Protect… there you will be able to configure the amount of disk space that’s allowed to be used by Guaranteed Recovery.

Tech Tool Pro does the same dumb thing. Saves automated backups on the same drive its backing up. I hope the programmers aren't really so dumb that they fail to understand if the drive dies, the backups go with it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 7:13 AM in response to jrpmedia

You have, or at one time did, CleverFiles' Disk Drill on your Mac. That's a bunch of recovery data it saves and is not needed in the least if you already have real backups (Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, etc.).

Supposedly, you can turn it off. From a discussion I found elsewhere:

Just go to Disk Drill -> Your drive -> Protect… there you will be able to configure the amount of disk space that’s allowed to be used by Guaranteed Recovery.

Tech Tool Pro does the same dumb thing. Saves automated backups on the same drive its backing up. I hope the programmers aren't really so dumb that they fail to understand if the drive dies, the backups go with it.

.cleverfiles : Are they really?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.