Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air mid 2011, HighSierra 10.13.6, failure to reboot while installing security update 2019-007 10.13.6

I'm trying to install security update (as specified above). The update requires system reboot which seems to begin with shutting down all open applications and the screen (turns black) but the cursor is still active. And that's where the 'reboot' ends. No matter how long I waited (~30 min), there were no changes. I repeated the procedure 3 time but the result is the same.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem. If yes, I'd be grateful for suggestions as to how to deal with it.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 9:37 PM

I have a MacBook Air late 2010, and before applying any Security Updates, I wait a few weeks to see if others report having problems. In this case it seems that some people have had problems. I decided I wanted the latest Security anyway, so eventually I did proceed with the update, which did work for me. However with an older computer, with older hardware, memory etc. there are additional precautions one can take: backup (I have two backups), check disk (Disk Utility First Aid, TechTool Pro, etc.), shut down, restart, then apply update. I am still using a 2010 MacBook Air and a 2008 iMac and both have had all available updates applied.

When you have two good backups (I always have at least one "bootable clone" plus at least one Time Machine disk), you are always safe. The following procedure, which is like a "nuclear option," is always available to "get past" a Security Update that hangs your Mac:

• Boot into CMD-R recovery. Erase and format your internal disk.
  • Upon startup with the vanilla fresh OS on the disk, create one administrative user called ADMIN or something generic that did not exist on your previous system.
  • With that user, install no software beyond that which comes with the OS, but do apply all available Apple updates, including the one that hung your Mac.
  • Then use the Migration utility to migrate from your backup only user accounts and documents. Reinstall all third party software manually, reinstalling only the latest versions, and only what you need.

I had to do this ONCE in the ten years I have had my 2010 MacBook Air. It took about 3 hours, which is less than some folks have had to spend on this issue.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2019 9:37 PM in response to miro61

I have a MacBook Air late 2010, and before applying any Security Updates, I wait a few weeks to see if others report having problems. In this case it seems that some people have had problems. I decided I wanted the latest Security anyway, so eventually I did proceed with the update, which did work for me. However with an older computer, with older hardware, memory etc. there are additional precautions one can take: backup (I have two backups), check disk (Disk Utility First Aid, TechTool Pro, etc.), shut down, restart, then apply update. I am still using a 2010 MacBook Air and a 2008 iMac and both have had all available updates applied.

When you have two good backups (I always have at least one "bootable clone" plus at least one Time Machine disk), you are always safe. The following procedure, which is like a "nuclear option," is always available to "get past" a Security Update that hangs your Mac:

• Boot into CMD-R recovery. Erase and format your internal disk.
  • Upon startup with the vanilla fresh OS on the disk, create one administrative user called ADMIN or something generic that did not exist on your previous system.
  • With that user, install no software beyond that which comes with the OS, but do apply all available Apple updates, including the one that hung your Mac.
  • Then use the Migration utility to migrate from your backup only user accounts and documents. Reinstall all third party software manually, reinstalling only the latest versions, and only what you need.

I had to do this ONCE in the ten years I have had my 2010 MacBook Air. It took about 3 hours, which is less than some folks have had to spend on this issue.

Dec 22, 2019 10:22 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, BDAqua. I have tried the Safe Mode. The machine still hangs while attempting to shut down and reboot. I've contacted Apple support. They say that my Mac is too old (obsolete, in fact) and they can't offer much assistance. The only option that I see might work is full reinstallation of macOS.

Dec 25, 2019 9:52 PM in response to miro61

Make sure you have at least two good backups. Try to find ways to "test" them first, to make sure they are sound -- before reformatting your disk! If you are unsure about what is happening, I suggest going to the Apple Store Genius Bar with your computer and your backups to make sure all looks ok before reformatting the disk.

Dec 26, 2019 12:05 AM in response to shadownd

Problem solved! Cudos 'shadownd'!

Note that there's a typo (an extra space) in one of the command lines (line 4 in your insert, see below in bold type) which prevents command execution. You may want to correct it to make life easier for other unlucky souls with the same problem.

Many thanks

'sudo/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/...'

MacBook Air mid 2011, HighSierra 10.13.6, failure to reboot while installing security update 2019-007 10.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.