Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro USB sockets don't seem to be holding a connection. Intermittently working.

Hey all, my mid 2015 MacBook Pro seems to be having an ongoing issue with both it's USB sockets. Neither can seem to hold a permanent connection. This can be any device and any cable.

For example, when charging an iPhone or iPad, I hear the connection sound every so often, it tends to happen a few times straight after being plugged in. I've tried several cables and other similar devices with the same problem. It became a nightmare recently when trying to restore an old iPad, it just couldn't do it as it kept disconnecting. I tried doing the restore on another MacBook and it worked perfectly, all other devices and cables worked fine too. So something is definitely not right with my own USB sockets!

Note that I am attempting to use the USB even when it's the only thing plugged in. I don't have any other issues with MacBook at all.

Can anyone help me resolve this please?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 8:18 PM

You could try using a powered USB3 hub to see if that makes any difference in case it is an issue of the laptop supplying enough power to the external devices. Otherwise I think you may need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined.

Similar questions

4 replies

MacBook Pro USB sockets don't seem to be holding a connection. Intermittently working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.