Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 2020 - USB-C problem / not-working

Hello,

I have a MacBook Air 2020 M1 8GB RAM 256GB SSD running the latest MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 (21D62)

The past 3 days the bottom USB-C (closer to the touchpad) has been disconnecting by itself at random times. The frequency kept increasing until finally today it totally stopped working.

The top USB-C port has no problems and works fine.

I checked the port if it's clean. I tried using safe mode. I tried charging it even when the laptop is shut down.

But the bottom USB-C port has still the problem.

I tried the same things on the top and the bottom, the top works fine, while the bottom has problem.

-My iPad connected with the same cable to the bottom USB-C port doesn't charge and isn't available on Finder. With the top USB-C port and on another MacBook (same model and MacOS version) it works fine.

-My USB-C external SSD works fine on the top and other MacBook, but not on the bottom USB-C port.

-My USB-C Hub works fine on the top, but not on the bottom.

-The MacBook charges fine from the top USB-C port, but doesn't charge from the bottom USB-C port.

The light of the charger keeps blinking on and off as seen on this video.

https://youtu.be/FxtjQuwmVSU

Do you know what the problem could be? Have you seen this before? Any suggestions what to do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 6:53 PM

From what you describe, it seems that port is simply broken. You did everything reasonable to support that suspicion by trying different devices and different cables.

I doubt it will help but try restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Then, restart it normally (not "Safe Mode") and determine if the symptoms persist.

If it still exhibits the same problems contact Apple to get it fixed: Get Support. Apple may ask you to reinstall macOS. I doubt that will help either, but try it anyway just so that you can tell them you did already.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 6:53 PM in response to steliosaa

From what you describe, it seems that port is simply broken. You did everything reasonable to support that suspicion by trying different devices and different cables.

I doubt it will help but try restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode": How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Then, restart it normally (not "Safe Mode") and determine if the symptoms persist.

If it still exhibits the same problems contact Apple to get it fixed: Get Support. Apple may ask you to reinstall macOS. I doubt that will help either, but try it anyway just so that you can tell them you did already.

Mar 2, 2022 11:48 PM in response to John Galt

Yes I think it is a broken port also.

Because I entered boot mode (so the OS has nothing to do with th eproblem) by holding the power button until i reach the screen where you choose what to boot from, and the problem still persists (charging devices are okay on the top but not on the bottom)

So I will backup everything on an external drive, turn off FindMyDevice and take it in for a repair (it is still under warranty so I hope it will be a free change).

Otherwise I think maybe this would fix the problem but it doesn't ship to my country.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Late-2018-Late-2020-USB-C-Board/IF188-129?o=1

It is 20 USD without shipping, so if Apple doesn't fix it for free under warranty or a reasonable price, then I will have to go to a third-party repair shop. Last thing I want is Apple support telling me "there is water damage!" or "the whole logic board needs to be replaced" just to get more money out of me, even though this seems to be an easy fix.

I hope they pass the "right to repair" bill so we have more access to repair options.

Mar 3, 2022 4:37 AM in response to steliosaa

Definitely take it to Apple. I am just as aware of allegedly dubious "water damage" claims as anyone, but that shouldn't stop you from at least obtaining a diagnosis. Besides, if they determine the defect is isolated to the USB board itself, a logic board replacement should not be required.

When Apple accepts a Mac for repair, they have to guarantee everything, even parts that may not have been damaged. It's not just a petty attempt to overcharge anyone. There isn't much to be gained by doing that. Apple just wants to fix things the right way, the first time, the same way anything ought to be fixed.

MacBook Air M1 2020 - USB-C problem / not-working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.