Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB ports on Mac keep on connecting/disconnecting - Any ideas?

I have a MacBook pro (mid-2015) where the USB ports keeps on connecting/disconnecting when you plug something in. But it happens intermittently.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I've noticed it happen both with plug in a iPhone or iPad (even when I use the original cables).

I recently had the battery replaced in the MacBook via a product recall. Could Apple have damaged the USB ports when they switched the battery?

I contacted the Apple store and they said they will do a diagnostic. Would a diagnostic pick this problem up, especially because it occurs intermittently? Is the diagnostic same as the Apple Hardware test or something more advanced?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 12:15 PM

Hello big_smile,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Do you have multiple devices connected via USB when this occurs, or will it happen with only one USB connection? If you have multiple devices connected, or use a hub, this could be related to what's occurring. Check out the information below, and you can locate additional details here: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

If you have many devices connected to your Mac: Disconnect all USB devices except the device you’re testing, an Apple keyboard, and an Apple mouse. Make sure that the device is connected directly to the computer, and that any hubs or extension cables are disconnected. If you can use the device now, the problem may be with one of the other USB devices or hubs you had connected to your computer. Try reconnecting them, one by one, to your computer. When you find the device causing the problem, review its documentation for further troubleshooting steps.

If that's not helpful, check if any of your Energy Saver preferences may be related to this occurring. If you're seeing this occur when your Mac sleeps, adjusting preferences could take care of this. Check out more information here: Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer - Apple Support

We hope that's able to help.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 12:15 PM in response to big_smile

Hello big_smile,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Do you have multiple devices connected via USB when this occurs, or will it happen with only one USB connection? If you have multiple devices connected, or use a hub, this could be related to what's occurring. Check out the information below, and you can locate additional details here: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

If you have many devices connected to your Mac: Disconnect all USB devices except the device you’re testing, an Apple keyboard, and an Apple mouse. Make sure that the device is connected directly to the computer, and that any hubs or extension cables are disconnected. If you can use the device now, the problem may be with one of the other USB devices or hubs you had connected to your computer. Try reconnecting them, one by one, to your computer. When you find the device causing the problem, review its documentation for further troubleshooting steps.

If that's not helpful, check if any of your Energy Saver preferences may be related to this occurring. If you're seeing this occur when your Mac sleeps, adjusting preferences could take care of this. Check out more information here: Change Energy Saver preferences on a Mac desktop computer - Apple Support

We hope that's able to help.

Have a great day!

USB ports on Mac keep on connecting/disconnecting - Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.