Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import movie to iMovie

I can't import some movies to iMovie and can't work out why. I've changed the file formats from Mov to MP4 and so on; they play fine in Quicktime. iMovie 11 can see the files (not greyed out, in white) but I can't import.

I've tried to expert from Quicktime but that doesn't work. I've used AVCHD to change formats but none of that works. I've tried to import the videos on iPad as well but it's not working that way.

Any one have any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 12:01 PM

Ok so no idea where the fault lay, but I uninstalled iMovie, reinstalled from App Store, it created a new iMovie Library called iMovie Library 1, so I had to open the 'old' iMovie Library to access my other files, but somehow I was able to import the video files in to the new Library. Interestingly/oddly I can't import them in to my existing library, so now running two libraries on my Mac. I'll give it 24 hours, make sure I have a back up and try and merge them....

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 12:01 PM in response to David Bywater

Ok so no idea where the fault lay, but I uninstalled iMovie, reinstalled from App Store, it created a new iMovie Library called iMovie Library 1, so I had to open the 'old' iMovie Library to access my other files, but somehow I was able to import the video files in to the new Library. Interestingly/oddly I can't import them in to my existing library, so now running two libraries on my Mac. I'll give it 24 hours, make sure I have a back up and try and merge them....

Dec 22, 2019 2:41 PM in response to David Bywater

Hi, David,

You can't merge libraries but you can copy or transfer clips, events, and projects from one library to another. Here's an apple help link that explains the procedure:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

Before moving media or projects from one library to another I have found it best first to copy rather than movie the media or project over to the new library. Then. if the copy was successful and everything is working on the new library, you can delete (if you want) the media or project from the old library.

-- Rich

Dec 22, 2019 8:39 AM in response to David Bywater

Would you confirm what version of iMovie that you are using? iMovie 9 was also known as iMovie '11. There is no version called iMovie 11(with no apostrophe).

Also, can you describe the exact steps that you are using to import the videos and what happens when you try? From where are you importing? In what format were the videos originally created? What device was used to create the videos? How do they differ from other videos that do import? Do you have enough disk space to import the video? Are you getting any error messages?

-- Rich

-- Rich

Dec 22, 2019 9:28 AM in response to Rich839

Sorry it's 10.1.14 - latest version I believe.

Getting no error messages. Videos were created on a Sony camcorder and downloaded to Mac using Windows software called Playmemories.

I have successfully downloaded and transferred movies in the past, but I've also used AVCHD software and today tried another which claimed to have an iMovie converting preset, but nothing works. The movies work fine in quicktime - they are movies of my kids a few years ago and it would be nice to compile them in to something more than small snippets and in to maybe a 1 min movie. Plenty of disk space. It's trying to find some way to get iMovie to recognise them. I've created 3 different files of one movie so far with different file extensions, all play in VLC, Quicktime etc but won't import to iMovie.

No error message - when I click the file and click 'import selected' nothing happens

Not having much luck.

Can't import movie to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.