Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music deleting downloads

Music app deletes iTunes purchases intermittently. I intentionally disabled cellular data for Music, so finding out all the music I want to listen to is unavailable when I get in the car is insanely frustrating.

The only help I've found so far is to adjust the "Optimize Storage" settings for Music. Well, such a setting simply does not exist in Settings on my phone.

Any ideas? Considering not using iTunes to buy any more music if this is what I have to deal with...

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Hi require_support,

Thanks for posting your question about the Music app. I'm happy to see how I can help out.

If you're finding that iTunes Store purchases are being deleted from the device, it sounds like storage is a factor to look at. This resource, How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, may account for what's happening:

"How iOS and iPadOS optimize storage

If your device is low on storage, it automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS or iPadOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more.

To make more storage available, your device can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. But your device only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore."

If that's the case, you may want to look at the suggestions in the link I posted above to see if you can free up some space overall on your device.

Regarding "Optimize Storage," are you an Apple Music subscriber? Based on the information here, it looks that function is specific to use of the Apple Music subscription service: Add music to iPhone and listen offline

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2019 2:13 PM in response to require_support

Hi require_support,

Thanks for posting your question about the Music app. I'm happy to see how I can help out.

If you're finding that iTunes Store purchases are being deleted from the device, it sounds like storage is a factor to look at. This resource, How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, may account for what's happening:

"How iOS and iPadOS optimize storage

If your device is low on storage, it automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS or iPadOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more.

To make more storage available, your device can remove some of your items, like streamed music and videos, files in iCloud Drive, and parts of apps that aren't needed. It also removes temporary files and clears the cache on your device. But your device only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore."

If that's the case, you may want to look at the suggestions in the link I posted above to see if you can free up some space overall on your device.

Regarding "Optimize Storage," are you an Apple Music subscriber? Based on the information here, it looks that function is specific to use of the Apple Music subscription service: Add music to iPhone and listen offline

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Dec 29, 2019 12:15 AM in response to sterling r

Hello sterling r, thanks for the response.

My device is indeed nearly out of storage space, and it's not uncommon for me to get the "low storage" alert. Although I would prefer the iPhone not automatically delete my music, I understand how the operation is automatic and well-intentioned.

I am not an Apple Music subscriber, so that explains the absence of the "Optimize Storage" setting.

Thanks again for bringing light to my questions.

Music deleting downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.