Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone recommend a good external DVD player to work with my MacBook Pro?

Can anyone recommend a good external DVD player to work with my MacBook Pro please. I've 2 and both won't work at all (one is brand new). Since Apple ceased making a built in DVD player into Mac's its caused no end of hassle ......

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 11:17 AM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2019 11:30 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for your reply. No, there's nothing wrong with the Mac and suspect the new DVD player is just rubbish. It comes with a pathetic 'instruction manual' (all of 2 tiny pages of a few lines) and doesn't make sense. I mean what does 'don't put the machines on the vulnerable to squeeze place' supposed to mean haha. With rubbish instructions I'm also assuming its a rubbish DVD player, so before buying another I wondered if anyone could recommend a good one that is compatible.

Dec 22, 2019 11:39 AM in response to tipsycat

Haha! Agreed. With "English" that bad, you can pretty much rightly assume the drive is junk.

Any drive, literally, is compatible. There's no such thing as a Windows only, or Mac only drive. It's just a matter of purchasing a decent one.

You can find any number of drives that will fit the bill for under $30 at Best Buy or Amazon. Such as this bus powered Dell unit. It isn't really Dell, as most such computer companies stamp their name on the case, but the drive itself is from a reputable manufacturer such as Panasonic, Hitachi, LG, etc.

Do be careful about how some drives are marketed. I bought an external Blu-ray read/write drive for $90 on Amazon. Doing some other comparison shopping, I found the exact same drive on Best Buy being sold through them by a third party seller. They had it listed as a Mac specific Blu-ray drive. Price for this identical drive? $350.

Can anyone recommend a good external DVD player to work with my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.