Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer won't let me make any changes without a password

I just upgraded to Catalina. I can't create or rename folders without being asked for my admin password. I tried to change the admin's permission on my hard drive from "read only" to "read and write" but it tells me I don't have permission to do that, either. What do I do? I'm logged into the admin account (which is the only user account on the computer), I want to be able to do anything without entering my password at every single step.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 8:12 AM

Hi kelseydeanna,

That's odd, it shouldn't ask for an admin password to rename a folder. Only when you install software or access system level settings it would ask for an administrator password.

I assume you are trying to rename a folder on your desktop, documents or music, etc.

You can try creating a new admin account to see if you are able to change a normal folder without it asking for an admin password to test.

You can also take a look at the article changing permissions.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2019 8:12 AM in response to kelseydeanna

Hi kelseydeanna,

That's odd, it shouldn't ask for an admin password to rename a folder. Only when you install software or access system level settings it would ask for an administrator password.

I assume you are trying to rename a folder on your desktop, documents or music, etc.

You can try creating a new admin account to see if you are able to change a normal folder without it asking for an admin password to test.

You can also take a look at the article changing permissions.

I hope this helps.

Dec 23, 2019 8:37 AM in response to kelseydeanna

Catalina includes security changes and the entire OS/system is now read only. For instance, you only have access to your user folder to make changes (note: if you check Disk Utility, it now shows two HD: there is the Mac HD volume which is read only, and the Mac HD - Data volume which is read/write). So, the OS may allow you to change the name of a folder, but will require admin privileges.

Computer won't let me make any changes without a password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.