Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac - Firmware lock

A few weeks back my dad bought a Imac used, and we decided to upgrade in ourselves with an SATA SSD instead of the fusion drive it came with.

Upon restarting we where meet with a black screen showing a lock and a password field. Searching on the web it seemed that the device has its firmware locked with a password, disallowing e.g. swapping or booting off external drives.

We spoke with the lady who sold it (she had bought it new, and only had it for a week), but according to her she haven't assigned any of the sort.

We have the original recite from the warehouse chain it was purchased from (which they confirmed), and opon speaking to them they promised to contact their supplier.

My question is ...

1. Would putting the original drive back in allow us to boot OSX again? Or does the lock stick regardless of swapping back?
  2. Could this have something to do with "Find my mac"? She later called saying she had recieved 4 numbers, however entering them didn't unlock the device. Its also showing the back screen, not a bunch of boxes requesting a pin. I'm almost 100% sure the original owner wouldn't have booted in recovery mode, enabled firmware password and then forgot about it, but could this be activated though the "Find my mac" software?

Thanks in advance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 4:52 AM

It was strange that she recieved a pin code after we booted on the new drive, yet we needed an actual password to unlock the system

If she got a notification when you tried to log in, then it likely is FMM. You may have to walk her through the steps to remove the device from her AppleID.

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 23, 2019 5:58 PM in response to iglouser

If possible, you can try removing the RAM and replacing. Older Macs could be reset that way. I don't remember when that was changed. If that doesn't work, you have to take it to an Apple Store or certified repair center with the proof of ownership.

The Firmware password is not restricted to the drive. It is part of the firmware in the Mac itself.

Dec 23, 2019 7:10 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply Barney :)

Thing is, its not an old Imac. The seller bought it new about a month ago (Imac 2017 21.5inch), but wanted a laptop instead.

I understand the firmware password isn't restricted to the drive, it is however the change of such that prompts the system to request password verification. Once the user creates a password for the firmware the system keeps tabs on the current main drive, any changes or requests for booting off external sources will request this password. Much like software installation requiring root access.

My question is whether popping back the original would allow us to boot up again (it did prior to changing drives), or if system remains locked regardless once engaged.

And again, could this firmware password business be due to the prior users "Find my mac" protection thingy?

Dec 23, 2019 8:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

AFAIK the FMM does use a pin code, but I was wondering if there would be any way she could've activated the "firmware password mode" without doing so manually, perhaps though her Apple account preference or some GPO. It was strange that she recieved a pin code after we booted on the new drive, yet we needed an actual password to unlock the system

According to my dad she wasn't tech savvy at all, quite the opposite, and not the kind of person to enable this manually through recovery mode.

Like you said, attempting to boot in recovery mode would prompt for the password as well, so we'll need to sort it out with Apple either way. It would've been nice getting the system to boot though, as its basically bricked at the moment.

Imac - Firmware lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.