Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder crashes when accessing SMB volume

I use a SMB share from another Mac also running 10.15.2. Multiple times a day, the Finder on my client computer fails to open the mounted share and either starts spinning the beach ball or shows a 'preparing to...' dialogue indefinitely depending on what the last action was. Finder application becomes unresponsive but relaunching the Finder won't work. The only apparent escape is to force shutdown and start the client computer again (force, because the computer won't shutdown normally). After a restart the SMB share can be mounted and works normally again.

This issue affects both my desktop and laptop. However, I can use the share normally from one client when the other client's Finder dies which suggests the sharing server isn't the issue. Also, meanwhile all other applications on the client computer work normally so the issue is with Finder only.

I'm pretty sure this started after upgrading from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2.

Anyone experiencing the same?

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 6:08 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Dec 26, 2019 7:22 AM in response to Hans Vallden

Hello Hans Vallden,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that Finder is crashing when accessing SMB file. Testing the issue while in safe mode may help isolate the cause of the issue. This article will provide you with the steps to start up in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Jan 7, 2020 5:01 AM in response to Hans Vallden

Hans Vallden,

Thank you for trying that step. When you have a chance review this article which has some tips when using the SMB: How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac Check out the section, Advanced options and Tips.

Since it occurred in safe mode, did you check your login items? If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

Here are some additional troubleshooting steps that may help:

Try testing in a test user account as well: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

If none of those steps helped, make sure to back up your Mac

Then reinstall your macOS: Reinstall macOS

If the issue persists, you may need to contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

Contact Apple Support

Regards.

Jan 4, 2020 10:37 AM in response to Hans Vallden

I have this exact problem. Catalina is garbage.

I had this problem on 10.15.1 accessing shares on an old Mac Mini running High Sierra 10.13.6 (I believe). Got a brand new Mac Mini running 10.15.2 and my iMac Pro on 10.15.2. I basically have to restart the iMac Pro (by holding the power button in after attempting a restart) at least once a day.

Jan 7, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Hans Vallden

Hans, here's what I tried yesterday and so far through a sleep cycle my shares still work for once. I might be jumping the gun and not giving it enough time to bomb today though.

When Finder was in its crashed state and unable to relaunch, I made sure it was killed in Activity Monitor first.

Then in Terminal, I went to ~/Library/Preferences and I did an "rm com.apple.finder.plist". Then I rebooted the machine. I had to redo some Finder settings obviously, but so far it's been good.

I'll reply if I see it fail again, or after a few days if it's been good.

Jan 24, 2020 3:00 AM in response to Hans Vallden

Just for the record - I have this issue too and even a clean install (without restoring a backup afterwards) did not fix it. It's somewhat reliable to reproduce when you sitch network interfaces. Say, connect to SMB via Wifi (no cable attached), attach Ethernet, disable Wifi afterwards. So it's probably not related to sleep cycles, but more to the system trying to re-establish the connection to the Share.

Jan 29, 2020 7:18 AM in response to Hans Vallden

Like many of you, I have also been experiencing this problem.

If my Mac's network changes from LAN to WiFi or vice versa, or even while roaming between AP's, Finder becomes permanently stuck. Same situation every morning (apparently due to the Mac sleeping). And just as others have reported, the only fix is a hard power cycle.

It seems to have started within the last month or so (tough to say, time seems to fly by these days). I see that 10.15.2 (19C57) was released December 10, and I feel like that's about when this problem started.

I even bought a brand new MacBook last week. Because I was certain the problem was being caused by software or some junk in my profile, I did a fresh install with a fresh new user account instead of a Time Machine restore, expecting the problem to go away. To my surprise, the problem returned :(

So at this point, it's quite obvious that the problem is entirely with macOS.

Finder crashes when accessing SMB volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.