Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air keyboard and Touch ID nonfunctional on startup

When the MacBook (OS Catalina) is opened and asks for Touch ID the screen is frozen. This happens constantly. Only remedy is to reboot machine. Then on reboot OS asks to restore previous windows.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 2:08 PM

Hello, canadianeh.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! If I understand correctly, when waking your MacBook Air from sleep, you are unable to use Touch ID. The only workaround you've found so far is to restart the Mac.

Use the following resource to help isolate the issue:

Isolating issues in Mac OS X - Apple Support

The support article linked above may lead you to reinstall macOS. I recommend creating a backup first, if you can.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support

I hope this helps! Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 2:08 PM in response to canadianeh

Hello, canadianeh.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! If I understand correctly, when waking your MacBook Air from sleep, you are unable to use Touch ID. The only workaround you've found so far is to restart the Mac.

Use the following resource to help isolate the issue:

Isolating issues in Mac OS X - Apple Support

The support article linked above may lead you to reinstall macOS. I recommend creating a backup first, if you can.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support

I hope this helps! Take care.

MacBook Air keyboard and Touch ID nonfunctional on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.