Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Ringtones in new Apple Music App

Since Apple did away with the iTunes program how do I make custom ringtones for my iPhone? In iTunes there was a folder titled "tones" for custom ringtones but that is not the case in the Apple Music app. I even tried going on an old G4 PowerBook that still has iTunes to make the ringtone the old way but my iPhone XS will not sync to it and when I try to transfer that m4r file to my MacBook Pro it does not recognise the file type. Any solutions to this loss of functionality?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 3:32 PM

Hello,

Some may have noticed that with the new macOS Catalina betas, the ringtones option has vanished from the iPhone sync window in the Finder. It was available before in iTunes. However, the functionality is still here.

How to sync your ringtones to your iPhone using the MacOS Catalina beta.

1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac.
  2. Open Finder window, click on your iPhone in the navigation column. You are now in the sync window.
  3. In a separate tab/window, find your custom ringtones.
  4. Drag them onto the title of the sync window (mine says '📱 iPhone BDAqua)
  5. Your ringtones will appear on your phone.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2019 3:32 PM in response to VRH23

Hello,

Some may have noticed that with the new macOS Catalina betas, the ringtones option has vanished from the iPhone sync window in the Finder. It was available before in iTunes. However, the functionality is still here.

How to sync your ringtones to your iPhone using the MacOS Catalina beta.

1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac.
  2. Open Finder window, click on your iPhone in the navigation column. You are now in the sync window.
  3. In a separate tab/window, find your custom ringtones.
  4. Drag them onto the title of the sync window (mine says '📱 iPhone BDAqua)
  5. Your ringtones will appear on your phone.

Custom Ringtones in new Apple Music App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.