Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free 1 year apple tv subscription

I recently purchased a new ipad, and with it comes the one year free apple tv subscription. I set it all up but when i went to watch a show it still asked me to pay for the show /ep i was on. How do i fix this?

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 6:50 AM

Please verify that you redeemed the offer and activated the subscription as described on: Get Apple TV+ free for one year - Apple.

The Apple TV+ subscription is for Apple TV+ content in the Apple TV app. Other content in the Apple TV app is not included, such as iTunes Store movies and TV shows (buy/rent per item).

151 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2019 6:50 AM in response to Bigboy699nz

Please verify that you redeemed the offer and activated the subscription as described on: Get Apple TV+ free for one year - Apple.

The Apple TV+ subscription is for Apple TV+ content in the Apple TV app. Other content in the Apple TV app is not included, such as iTunes Store movies and TV shows (buy/rent per item).

Jun 3, 2020 12:18 PM in response to Jimisjurek

If you read what Apple TV + includes, it say Apple originals

You weren’t misled, you misunderstood.

Your subscription is for Apple TV + 

Apple TV + is Apple Original content. It’s a channel found within the Apple TV App. The shows included in your subscription will have the tv+ logo on them - those are free with your subscription 

About Apple TV+ - Apple Support

What is Apple TV+ and what do I get with it?

• Apple TV+ is an all-new streaming service from Apple. Watch original shows and films, ad-free and on demand, in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos sound.

Nowhere does it say this includes iTunes movies or TV Shows, other channels, etc which are not owned by Apple to be giving away for free. Apple TV hosts other services as well as their own TV Plus. These are high quality shows.

Jan 27, 2020 9:06 AM in response to Freeappletv

That is not true at all. All advertising strictly shows that the service is for Apple originals, and this is also shown on the webpage. Nowhere has it ever stated that the service entitles one to the full contents of the iTunes store. Furthermore, in order to subscribe you would need to go into the Apple TV channels section and select Apple TV Plus, and you can easily browse what the service has to offer before signing up.

Other services have licensed content on top of originals, however they still don't offer access to a full marketplace, equivalent to iTunes, and cost even more than this service. The fact is you did not do your due diligence to see what this was beforehand and are now coming to complain based on that decision, which doesn't hold any weight.

Feb 15, 2020 6:31 AM in response to vazandrew

I also was sent the one year free subscription email to Apple TV after purchasing a phone and iMac at the same time. I clicked on the link and it took me to the page that looks like the standard landing page for Apple TV. There was nothing more. No extra links or verifications. Same things happened to my husband - he also bought a phone and iMac - nothing. On my subscriptions it shows I am PAYING $7.99 per month and I can see that coming out of my account for the last three months. Not happy at all. When I go to Apple TV it is all having to be paid for separately as well. Total rip off.

Mar 28, 2020 2:02 AM in response to Bigboy699nz

Its pretty confusing to me being a person whose new to Apple devices. The app is called Apple TV, the offer is 1 year free of Apple TV+👈.

Obviously based on the name, a reasonable person would assume that your getting everything in the Apple TV app plus some extras. But no, your getting basically nothing in the Apple TV app except the stuff that should have been free to begin with😅.

Apple should change the name of the App or the streaming service to avoid confusion, or just give this content away for free to give people a reason to even open that app. Just my opinion.

May 12, 2020 6:57 PM in response to gruttosingel

Your free one year subscription is for Apple TV + 

Apple TV + is Apple Original content. It’s a channel found within the Apple TV App. The shows included in your subscription will have the tv+ logo on them - those are free. 

Movies that say rent or buy are from the iTunes Store and not free. 

This is not like Netflix etc, where all is included in the one App. Nowhere does it state you have access to the entire iTunes catalogue. Those movies are owned and sold by the Film Producers or whoever owns the rights to them, which is not Apple.

Jun 17, 2020 1:58 AM in response to amkrasnoff

$7.99 USD would not be for Apple TV+, but for something else. Possibly one of the other Apple TV app Channels (e.g. Nick Hits $7.99, Noggin $7.99). Or a different product or service from a different app.

See or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support. The subscription overview will list all your subscriptions with their fee amount.

See your purchase history for the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support. The purchase history for your account will specify all items that are billed to you, including subscription fees.

If you see "apple.com/bill" or an unfamiliar charge on your statement - Apple Support. Investigate charges that you see.

Jun 17, 2020 8:57 PM in response to amkrasnoff

Because this wasn’t done automatically. You were required to redeem the offer yourselves to activate the free trial.

If you haven’t done so and are still within the 90 period from your device activation date (when you set it up), you can do so now - follow the instructions:

The other charges are for something else, you can  view, change, or cancel your subscriptions to see what it is for and cancel those, if you wish and check your purchase history

Dec 28, 2020 6:52 PM in response to ARRRRRRRRGH

We acknowledge it’s not easy for some. The instructions need to be followed, update the software and sign in with the same Apple ID you activated the new qualifying device on. It’s tied into your Apple ID. Once you set up your new device and set up is complete, Apple knows this was done. Then you are eligible for the free year. You have 90 days to claim it after activating the new device.

Here’s how to redeem it:

Turn on your new Apple device and sign in with your Apple ID

Open the Apple TV app. Make sure your device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.

The offer should be presented immediately after launching the app. If not, go to the Apple TV+ channel page, signed in, where you’ll see the offer.

Tap Enjoy 1 Year Free.

Apple TV + Offer

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210573

May 16, 2021 6:45 AM in response to irpope

I have no intentions of providing credit card info!

When you start any subscription, including Apple TV+, you will need to provide a payment method in advance for the monthly subscription fees after the trial, whether you intend to continue or not. It doesn’t have to be a credit card, although that is probably easiest and safest. Without valid payment method, you will not be able to subscribe. You won’t be billed (for this) until the subscription transitions after the trial. If you cancel in time, then you won’t be billed at all for this subscription.

The offer is for one year of Apple TV+ for free, so nobody gets ‘ripped off’ when their first year is indeed for free. And they hope you stay for the quality content. It is not a giveaway, it is a lure, an elongated trial period, and that’s okay.

Mar 13, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Bigboy699nz

Totally misleading I activated the service and added my credit card detail. But to watch movies you have to pay 300 or something per movies which are available for free in other ott. Why Apple TV subscription is so worst.

the interesting part is that when you go to cancel the subscription it let you cancel from the instally and not auto cancel it after subscription expired.

it means it you forget to cancel your subscription at last month they will charge you.

just money making and kind of trap for subscribers.

Free 1 year apple tv subscription

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.