Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os catalina late 2014 mac mini

How will the new mac os catalina effect the operating speed of late 2014 mac mini?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 9:06 PM

It doesn't seem any different than Mojave, but I've only run it on a test system which has 16GB of memory and an SSD. I know Mojave barely runs in 4GB of memory so 8GB or more of memory is probably recommended. Since you cannot upgrade memory in this system if you are already running Mojave, then I don't expect Catalina to be much different. If you are running Yosemite, then you may notice a slower system unless you have at least 8GB of RAM.

You can always install Catalina to an external USB3 hard drive/SSD to test out system performance. If your Mini uses an internal SSD, then an external hard drive will run considerably slower.

Keep in mind Catalina does not support any 32bit apps. Make sure all your apps can be upgraded to 64bit or uninstall the 32bit apps before upgrading to Catalina.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 9:06 PM in response to Brickracer

It doesn't seem any different than Mojave, but I've only run it on a test system which has 16GB of memory and an SSD. I know Mojave barely runs in 4GB of memory so 8GB or more of memory is probably recommended. Since you cannot upgrade memory in this system if you are already running Mojave, then I don't expect Catalina to be much different. If you are running Yosemite, then you may notice a slower system unless you have at least 8GB of RAM.

You can always install Catalina to an external USB3 hard drive/SSD to test out system performance. If your Mini uses an internal SSD, then an external hard drive will run considerably slower.

Keep in mind Catalina does not support any 32bit apps. Make sure all your apps can be upgraded to 64bit or uninstall the 32bit apps before upgrading to Catalina.

mac os catalina late 2014 mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.