Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted photos off phone, safe in iCloud?

Hi there.

Ive deleted most my photos off my phone to save on space and am now storing them on iCloud. They used to be automatically uploaded, but I’m currently in a country where internet and WiFi usage is very sought after so I turned iCloud off.

What I’m now worried about is that after 30 days the photos on iCloud will be deleted thus losing them forever. But I think this is just for photos in the “photo stream”?

Could somebody please clarify for me whether my photos will remain in iCloud, even if they are deleted off my phone with iCloud turned off?

My plan is to obviously turn iCloud back on when I am in my home country and then have access again to all my photos on my phone.

Apologies for the long message, thanks.

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 6:22 AM

Hmm.....I fear you've lost them. If you delete photos from one device you've deleted them from all of them. That's what iCloud is primarily for - to keep your photo collection in sync across all devices - it's not a storage medium. If you want delete photos but still have them, you need to download them elsewhere first. You may be ok if they are still in the Recently Deleted album and you deleted them within the last 30 days - but that won't help if you went in and cleared the Recently Deleted.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2019 6:22 AM in response to GreenGoblin636

Hmm.....I fear you've lost them. If you delete photos from one device you've deleted them from all of them. That's what iCloud is primarily for - to keep your photo collection in sync across all devices - it's not a storage medium. If you want delete photos but still have them, you need to download them elsewhere first. You may be ok if they are still in the Recently Deleted album and you deleted them within the last 30 days - but that won't help if you went in and cleared the Recently Deleted.

Deleted photos off phone, safe in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.