Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shutting down randomly every couple minutes

Hi folks,

Last week I started having occasional random spontaneous shutdowns of my MBP (late 2013 10.14.5). Then this morning it started happening every 2 minutes or so. Tried following lots of guidance in these discussions. Reset SMC, didn't help. Reset PRAM. Didn't help. Then on a lark I recalled Safe Mode. Booted into Safe Mode, took a while, but booted successfully and did not crash/shutdown. So after gaining a little confidence, I launched back into normal mode with my normal user. After about an hour, so far so good.

Do folks think boot into safe mode alone is a good enough fix effort, or should I go look for more potential issues?

Best,

-- JOsh

PS Not sure why I have a new user profile here, I've been in Apple Communities before and have been all Mac since 1987.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 6:21 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 28, 2019 8:35 AM in response to jds91md

While in Safe mode, Please post the EtreCheck output as a "Reply" to this thread

<https://itunes.apple.com/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?ls=1&mt=12>

Click on the Share icon and select "Copy Report"

And then Paste the report as a "Reply" to this thread using an "Additional Text" box.

EtreCheck is a tool that helps Apple Support Community volunteers debug problems without any access to the troubled computers. Debugging problems can be a difficult task even when the machine is in front of you. Attempting it via a discussion forum is extremely difficult. EtreCheck is a great help that regards.

Dec 31, 2019 3:04 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi folks,

So here's the answer, and it's not a happy one cuz it's a hardware issue.

Went to Apple Store (Westchester/White Plains, NY location). They did diagnostics. Everything was fine except for one thing: motherboard temperature sensor. As the MBP was late 2013, Apple no longer has parts for it, thus the expensive replacement of motherboard was not even an option at Apple. Could have gone to 3rd party authorized repair shop, still could, but there are none within 90 minute drive from my home, Binghamton NY. And I'd be repairing an old computer in which more things could go wrong (like repairing old car, always a gamble on whether repairs are worth it).

So I bought new MBP 16" with the new keyboard. It's not quite as good as the 2013 MBP keyboard, but not as bad as the last several years. Quite expensive, but hoping it lasts another 6 years or more.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I always learn a lot when I come to support communities (doesn't look like I do, but Apple changed my login credentials, I've been coming here for many years).

-- Josh

MacBook Pro shutting down randomly every couple minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.