Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Shutting Down Randomly

Hello,

Recently I've been having issues with my Macbook Air that are making it frustrating to use at all.

I'll be doing anything, whether it's browsing the internet, watching a movie, or even just listening to music and my Macbook will shut down without warning.

Actually, scratch that. *Sometimes* right before it shuts down, my Mac will make a loud buzzing/clicking noise, cutting out all sound/volume control. After that starts it usually only takes maybe 30 seconds to shut down, but sometimes I have to manually shut it down.

9 times out of 10 though, there is zero warning. It will shut down with no warning, and then when I boot it back up, it will have all my windows/tabs/etc. reopen as if nothing happened. It's gotten to the point where it's become a daily occurence, sometimes even happening several times in one day!

I'll be the first to admit I have been a bit hard on my Mac, and it has taken a couple of falls, but nothing seemed too messed up until this started happening about a month ago. I've reset my SMC, PRAM, updated the OS, etc. and nothing seems to really help. Is this a hardware issue from the falls it's taken or something else?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 7:20 AM

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 and Big Sur If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

The falls may have started to show up at any time https://support.apple.com/en-ca/repair

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 7:20 AM in response to hambone_

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 and Big Sur If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

The falls may have started to show up at any time https://support.apple.com/en-ca/repair

Macbook Shutting Down Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.