Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does combining video clips in iMovie 10.1 remove all geotag information?

I took 10 video clips of a visit to a museum in Taiwan using my iPhone. Each of the video clips has the date, time, and location captured. I then tried to merge the 10 video clips into a single clip using iMovie 10.1. The combined clip, however, has lost all of the information of the date, time, and location. Is this the expected behaviour? Is there any way to retain the date, time, and geotag information in the combined clip? How can I combine the clips without losing this information?

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 6:32 PM

I'm not sure but I would think that combining several clips into one would result in removing the geotag info, since you would be creating a whole new clip. Also, the different clip segments could have different geotag information that would not be able to be carried over into a composite clip.

You might need manually to add the geo info to the file names before importing into iMovie. Then you could view the info when you clicked on the info button (the circle with the "i" in it in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen).

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 6:32 PM in response to Christopher Yip

I'm not sure but I would think that combining several clips into one would result in removing the geotag info, since you would be creating a whole new clip. Also, the different clip segments could have different geotag information that would not be able to be carried over into a composite clip.

You might need manually to add the geo info to the file names before importing into iMovie. Then you could view the info when you clicked on the info button (the circle with the "i" in it in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen).

-- Rich

Dec 28, 2019 8:31 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich. I found that once the a video clip is processed in iMovie or QuickTime, the date/time and geotag information are gone. So, if I have 5 one-minute clips of a dinner with friends, I can't combine them into a single 5-minute video clip without losing the date/time/location information. It's much nicer to reminisce through a 5-minute video rather than swipe through 5 one-minute video clips.

I also like how videos and photos are displayed according to the location they are taken in the "Places" in the Photos app. Sometimes, I can't recall where a video or a photo was taken. I would not combine video clips from different places into one clip; just clips from the same location. For instance, I might spend 4 hours in a museum and take many short videos of different exhibits. I would like to combine these clips into a single clip of my visit to the museum.

It would be great if iMovie has the ability to retain the date/time/geotag information when clips are combined.

Dec 28, 2019 9:34 PM in response to Christopher Yip

Thanks for the feedback. I figured that the geo and date info wouldn't carry over to a composite clip. How could it, really? Dates and times are different, clips are taken in different locations. How, for example, would you get a composite label for a composite clip composed of clips taken on November 30, December 1, December 4, December 5, etc. I think that the only way to do it is to manually label the composite clip in the Finder with something generic like "November/December".

-- Rich

Does combining video clips in iMovie 10.1 remove all geotag information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.