Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan installation problem

I am unsuccessfully trying to reinstall El Capitan on my 10 years old MacBookPro(15in). In the middle of installation it says "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance...". I erased the HDD, changed to SDD- tried to install from internet and from created external drive. Always the same message "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance..."

Thank you in advance for help.

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 6:26 AM

The only place you can get a valid full installer is here, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Recently (end of October) the certificates for several OS X and macOS installers ran out, Apple updated the certificates and released newer versions of those installers. Sadly they did not update those installers on the Recovery site or the Purchased section of the App Store.

If you can only use the installer you have on your external drive change the Date & Time on your mac to one year ago.

If you want the updated installer follow the link I gave you above and read the instructions from Section 4 to Section 7, and then read them again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 6:26 AM in response to ara224

The only place you can get a valid full installer is here, How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Recently (end of October) the certificates for several OS X and macOS installers ran out, Apple updated the certificates and released newer versions of those installers. Sadly they did not update those installers on the Recovery site or the Purchased section of the App Store.

If you can only use the installer you have on your external drive change the Date & Time on your mac to one year ago.

If you want the updated installer follow the link I gave you above and read the instructions from Section 4 to Section 7, and then read them again.

Dec 28, 2019 7:14 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you for your help.

I have an installer on flash drive from August 2019. I was using that installer and the computer was not connected to the internet during the installation, moreover I changed HDD to SSD. Thus I do not know how date issue can help. Anyhow I'll follow your advice- change the date in the computer from the terminal and try to install again.

El Capitan installation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.