Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X. could not be installed on your computer

trying to reinstall OS X for resale and it won't let me install El Capitan : No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacture for assistance. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro. worked fine before I erased everything.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 10:04 AM

If you are booting into Recovery Mode to perform the clean install, then you will need to change the computer's date to some time in 2017 (or perhaps earlier like 2016, etc.) because the certificates being used by the local installer have expired. While booted to the installer launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command to set the date & time to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:33am:

date  -u  0102113317

If the command completes without any errors, then quit the Terminal app and select the "Reinstall macOS" option (or maybe it is "Reinstall OS X").

I don't believe you need to do this if you recently created a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer, but if you are getting this error, then change the date & time.

FYI, when performing a clean install for resale you should boot into recovery mode using Command + Option + R so that you don't have to use your AppleID to download the macOS 10.11 installer since that will associate your AppleID with the OS which you don't want when selling a Mac.

If your laptop had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in the past, then using Command + Option + R should boot the laptop into Internet Recovery Mode to access the online macOS 12.x Monterey installer, however, sometimes this will only access the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop from the factory which in this case is macOS 10.11.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 10:04 AM in response to debs31259

If you are booting into Recovery Mode to perform the clean install, then you will need to change the computer's date to some time in 2017 (or perhaps earlier like 2016, etc.) because the certificates being used by the local installer have expired. While booted to the installer launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command to set the date & time to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:33am:

date  -u  0102113317

If the command completes without any errors, then quit the Terminal app and select the "Reinstall macOS" option (or maybe it is "Reinstall OS X").

I don't believe you need to do this if you recently created a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer, but if you are getting this error, then change the date & time.

FYI, when performing a clean install for resale you should boot into recovery mode using Command + Option + R so that you don't have to use your AppleID to download the macOS 10.11 installer since that will associate your AppleID with the OS which you don't want when selling a Mac.

If your laptop had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in the past, then using Command + Option + R should boot the laptop into Internet Recovery Mode to access the online macOS 12.x Monterey installer, however, sometimes this will only access the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop from the factory which in this case is macOS 10.11.

Aug 8, 2022 7:06 AM in response to debs31259

This method Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

This method How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

Aug 8, 2022 6:16 PM in response to debs31259

It matters because it means you may be able to access the macOS 12.x Monterey online installer plus it means you it opens up more options for creating a bootable macOS USB installer if you have access to another Mac from 2014 to 2022 which you can use to create a macOS 11.x/12.x USB installer. If this laptop never had a newer OS on it, then it may have required an intermediate OS first before using the later versions, so this information is good news.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

So this now means if you have access to another Mac from 2008 to 2022, then you can create either a macOS 10.11 or a 12.x USB installer.

macOS 10.11 USB installer -- use a Mac from 2008 to 2015

macOS 11.x USB installer --- use a Mac from 2014 to 2020 (maybe even some 2013 models)

macOS 12.x USB installer -- use a Mac from 2015 to 2022

Aug 8, 2022 1:51 PM in response to PRP_53

But when I do the OS reinstall it is only giving me the option to download El Capiton.

Why does this need to be so hard. cause everything has to be downloaded from the magic cloud that you have no control over.

'I have no got a laptop that is worth nothing. Cause I tried to follow instructions they give under support and first it deletes the hard drive work to get that added not it won't load the OS so it does nothing. Unless I spend money to ship it in to get fixed.

Aug 8, 2022 6:22 PM in response to HWTech

I have this mac i am responding on which is a 2017. The other Mac has had all of the upgrades and I even did the Beta, I hope that is not part of the problem. I think I took it off, don't remember. My husband has one also that is 2013 or 2015. Plus I have a 2015 with a cracked screen I just need an external monitor to use it

OS X. could not be installed on your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.