Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to reinstall El Capitan to my MacBook Pro 2015

I'm giving away my MacBook Pro 15" 2015 and upon trying to reinstall the software after erasing my disk it won't let me install it. It goes through an hour of downloading the software and then shortly after it gives me the message 'OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install.' Ive tried using the terminal to change the date and trying again but alas, nothing has worked. My MacBook was running the most latest OS instalment when I erased everything but when I went to re-download it, it came up with El Capitan. I've been trying since yesterday and nothing is working. Someone please help, I am desperate. Its meant to be a present for my younger brother.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 7:52 PM

Follow the instructions here: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the original version of macOS that was installed at the factory. When the installation is completed the system will boot automatically. Do not proceed with the setup. Instead simply Quit and shutdown the computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 7:52 PM in response to miora

Follow the instructions here: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (will be the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the original version of macOS that was installed at the factory. When the installation is completed the system will boot automatically. Do not proceed with the setup. Instead simply Quit and shutdown the computer.

Feb 8, 2020 7:53 PM in response to miora

It is a shame Apple is making this so much harder than it should be.

First try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times). Then try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to try to boot to the online Catalina installer. I've found some computers will only boot to the oldest version of the macOS installer. You may have to reset the date and time after the PRAM reset.

Once you boot to the online installer whether it is Catalina or El Capitan you will need to select and erase the whole physical drive. With later versions of macOS (10.13+) you first need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. The physical drive should appear as something like "Apple SSD ....".

If you are booting the Catalina installer you want to erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

If you are booting the El Capitan installer you want to erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Trying to reinstall El Capitan to my MacBook Pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.