Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desk Top Folder Problem

everytime i create a new desk top folder on my MacBook Pro it copies EVERYTHGING i have on the desk to that folder. Deleting it does not help, they keep reappearing in the next folder I create. HELP !!

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 7:36 AM

6 replies

Dec 28, 2019 4:57 PM in response to LILBITMOM

LILBITMOM wrote:

Sorry, I have tried to get this to pic to you but I am getting and ERROR message every time.
The PATH is: " iCloud Drive>desktop>untitled folder. " If that helps .

This is a clue. I would go to iCloud and disable Desktop & Documents and reclaim your Desktop as you now it.

>System Preferences>iCloud

or

>System Preferences>AppleID

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple ...

How to Disable iCloud Desktop & Documents on Mac ..

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling ..

Dec 28, 2019 8:34 AM in response to LILBITMOM

LILBITMOM wrote:

everytime i create a new desk top folder on my MacBook Pro it copies EVERYTHGING i have on the desk to that folder. Deleting it does not help, they keep reappearing in the next folder I create. HELP !!

Verify your macOS is up to date... You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or what exact macOS you are currently running?

Verify you are using the correct key combination—Because that is a viable option

If the issue continues, YOu can try relaunching the Finder—

>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch.

If the issue still continues it could be a corrupt plist

delete the com.apple.finder.plist, Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Finder>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Dec 28, 2019 8:39 AM in response to CT

RIGHT click on DeskTop, Highlight, "NEW FOLDER". Then Drop and Drag into that folder the documents that I want to add. But then when I go back to that FOLDER it has EVERYTHING that is on my desk top added to it. If I try and move things OUT of the FOLDER (things that do not belong there) it will not allow me to do that. If I DELETE an item in the FOLDER it will also delete if off the DESKTOP. Consequently, I have SEVERAL folders (with different names on my desk top and everyone of them has everything that is on the desk top and I have to look to find the document I am looking for. ALSO, when I open the FOLDER it says "DESKTOP" at the top of the folder and not what ever I named it. IF I call it TEST 3 if it move cursor OFF the item I just added it says "DESKTOP" at the top. I have been doing this for a long time and never had this problem before.

Desk Top Folder Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.