Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two monitors only mirror, 2019 Macbook Pro w/touchbar

Hello, I have two external monitors connected to my 2019 13' Macbook Pro via a hub with two HDMI ports. The monitors both work but, I cannot figure out how to use them both, they only mirror each other. I would like to keep the Macbook Pro closed and use two monitors for my desktop. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 10:49 AM

IamSharpy wrote:

Hello, I have two external monitors connected to my 2019 13' Macbook Pro via a hub with two HDMI ports. The monitors both work but, I cannot figure out how to use them both, they only mirror each other. I would like to keep the Macbook Pro closed and use two monitors for my desktop. Is this possible?

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with ...

Try using extended desktop mode instead of mirror display mode. Mirror display also mirrors the display resolution. Extended desktop mode allows you to select the native resolution of the external display.

From the Finder>Help menu> multiple displays with your Mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2019 10:49 AM in response to IamSharpy

IamSharpy wrote:

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with ...

Try using extended desktop mode instead of mirror display mode. Mirror display also mirrors the display resolution. Extended desktop mode allows you to select the native resolution of the external display.

From the Finder>Help menu> multiple displays with your Mac

Dec 29, 2019 1:21 PM in response to IamSharpy

IamSharpy wrote:

Thanks, but I have them both working...the issue is that the two external monitors are mirrors and not extended desktop. Only one of the two monitors appears in the Display control panel display placement window.

See if you still have this option >System Preferences>Displays

press the option key while you're in Displays— You'll get a Detect displays button (bottom right).

there is a checkbox "Show displays in menu bar". If you check it, you get a new icon in the menu bar that has "Detect Displays" as its first option.

Use external monitors with your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351

In addition:

Navigate to  > System Preferences > Mission Control and check if Displays have separate Spaces is selected.

-----------------------------

Mirror 2 of 3 displays, here you might find some insight as well:

Click the ? at the lower-right of the "Arrangement" tab of "Displays" system preference.

"To set up a combination of displays showing mirrored and extended desktop images, set up the three displays as an extended desktop, and then Option-drag a display icon onto another display icon to mirror the two displays."

Two monitors only mirror, 2019 Macbook Pro w/touchbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.