You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flexgate Problem A1707 Macbook 15”

My macbook A1707 late 2016 has the flexgate problems. The screen is flickering and went black after a couple minutes of use. Have to close the lid and reopen it the screen is working for minutes and then same issue. It works fine for the external screen. I contacted the online apple support. They asked me to pay $872 to get it fix. I asked them for the flexgate program. They said it eligible for 13” only.. anyone have the same issue??? $3000++ machines is died after one and a half years.

I barely using this laptop and been sitting on the desk most of the times.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 11:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 11:22 AM

Joencflip wrote:

My macbook A1707 late 2016 has the flexgate problems. The screen is flickering and went black after a couple minutes of use. Have to close the lid and reopen it the screen is working for minutes and then same issue. It works fine for the external screen. I contacted the online apple support. They asked me to pay $872 to get it fix. I asked them for the flexgate program. They said it eligible for 13” only.. anyone have the same issue??? $3000++ machines is died after one and a half years.

This is most unfortunate Joencflip—

Service Program—

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service/

All you can do is take it in and have it repaired.

At this time, there is no Service Program for this 15" issue of the projector cable, the 2016-2018 MBP.

Typically in the past if Apple does release a Service Program, they have offered a refund for out of pocket expense parts & labor for the exact issue covered.

Service Programs are triggered by the percentage of all MBP of this spec vs the number of failures documented.

We are not privy to this %, or have any more insight.

A repair ticket, your Apple Feedback—all are heading in the right direction to trigger this release.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2019 11:22 AM in response to Joencflip

Joencflip wrote:

This is most unfortunate Joencflip—

Service Program—

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service/

All you can do is take it in and have it repaired.

At this time, there is no Service Program for this 15" issue of the projector cable, the 2016-2018 MBP.

Typically in the past if Apple does release a Service Program, they have offered a refund for out of pocket expense parts & labor for the exact issue covered.

Service Programs are triggered by the percentage of all MBP of this spec vs the number of failures documented.

We are not privy to this %, or have any more insight.

A repair ticket, your Apple Feedback—all are heading in the right direction to trigger this release.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 29, 2019 11:43 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

This video, MacBook Pro Flexgate Problem - YouTube, demonstrates a possible fix that costs much less. Take a look and see if you might wish to give it a try and save $800. I have nothing to do with it, and cannot assure that it works or is for anyone to try.

There is no repair program from Apple for the 15" models.

Maybe I am missing something— that linked video only describes the problem and offers no work-a round.?

Possibly < ifixit .com> would be more insightful at getting at the issue. or here.

Flexgate Problem A1707 Macbook 15”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.