Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime hangs when playing any video

I have recently encountered a problem with Quicktime running under OSX 10.14.6. I hangs with any video file (MOV, MP4) including FCPX output and other sources. The only option is to force quit. Luckily I have always retained the superior Quicktime 7 app. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there any fix. I am unable to upgrade to Catalina as I have critical apps which are not supported on 64bit.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 11:16 AM

Hello dennisgsy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that QuickTime becomes unresponsive when playing any video on your Mac. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved. I'm happy to help.

I recommend testing in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your user account or system wide.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include specific error messages and any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2020 11:16 AM in response to dennisgsy

Hello dennisgsy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that QuickTime becomes unresponsive when playing any video on your Mac. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved. I'm happy to help.

I recommend testing in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your user account or system wide.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include specific error messages and any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Jan 8, 2020 3:24 PM in response to Teddy_B

Fixed but not sure why?

I followed the procedure to restart in Safe Mode and I tried a few different mp4 and mov files. With one exception each one resulted in 'The document "xxxxxxxxxx" could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (-101)' Example error message below. The one exception which I was able to view in Safe Mode was a very small mp4 file 1.1MB.

I then tried logging out and back in as a different user, still in safe mode, but as this user did not have any accessible movie files I was unable to carry out any tests. I therefore restarted my MacBook and logged back into my normal user account and not in safe mode.

Now trying all the same files I was able to open all of them. So the only difference to previous logout / reboots / sign back in tests was the tests in Safe Mode described above. Could this have cleared the fault in some way?

I have more screen shots showing 'get info' but I don't want to share these publicly.

Thanks for your help

Dennis

Quicktime hangs when playing any video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.