Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro has 2 internal hard disks in Disk Utility

My macbook pro often has problem with Flashing Folder with Question Mark during startup, and I was told by users in Discussion group to check Disk Utility and Startup Disk. I saw 2 internal HD in Disk Utility. There was only 1 HD in Disk Utility before, and I didn't know when this 2 HD occurred. It is running with MacOS Catalina 10.15.2. I wonder if that Flashing Folder with Question Mark during startup is related to this 2 internal HD. Is there anyway to fix this 2 internal HD or make it back to normal just 1 HD like before? I would really appreciate your help!!! Thank you!!!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 1:06 PM

1 reply

Dec 29, 2019 1:26 PM in response to nsereivatana

With macOS Catalina, whether it's a new install or a upgrade, will divide an APFS container into two volumes, by default: 1) Macintosh HD, and 2) Macintosh HD - Data.

The first volume is read-only and contains the OS system files. The second contains some system files, but it mostly consists of user apps & data.

This is what you should be seeing in the Disk Utility. If you switch to "Show All Devices" via the View menu option, you should now see your Internal drive which should include a single Container with two volumes in it.

My MacBook Pro has 2 internal hard disks in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.