Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina, Migration Assistant.

Can ethernet be used for migration? It seems to force me to use wifi.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 10:16 AM

I wasted good time on this problem starting up migration assistant process repeatedly to find a path.

It short circuits the wifi setup i entered into settings, trying to force me to use the slow wifi connection over my gigabit ethernet.

Why? .... Apple I guess.

Anyway, by turning off wifi router in the house as well as repeaters (strong wifi signal but no connection seems to be a preferred path), I forced it to start up with the ethernet connection. My estimated time went from a nominal 23 hours to nominal 16 hours, with actual completion in 6.

What a pain. It would have been easier if Apple, in their infinite wisdom, had an option to connect to other connection paths other than bloody wifi.

Yet another Apple 'one button mouse'.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Poltergeister

I wasted good time on this problem starting up migration assistant process repeatedly to find a path.

It short circuits the wifi setup i entered into settings, trying to force me to use the slow wifi connection over my gigabit ethernet.

Why? .... Apple I guess.

Anyway, by turning off wifi router in the house as well as repeaters (strong wifi signal but no connection seems to be a preferred path), I forced it to start up with the ethernet connection. My estimated time went from a nominal 23 hours to nominal 16 hours, with actual completion in 6.

What a pain. It would have been easier if Apple, in their infinite wisdom, had an option to connect to other connection paths other than bloody wifi.

Yet another Apple 'one button mouse'.

Dec 30, 2019 10:32 AM in response to macjack

The problem is that Apple migration 'assistant' defines the connection.

It disregards the fact that Wifi has been disabled in settings pane and provides no option within

'assistant' to connect with anything but wifi.

If Wifi is present in the 'space' then by default the 'assistant' uses that.

At least in the case where I don't have USB connection to backup – it had to go on Synology/network server for this.

Catalina, Migration Assistant.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.