Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay homepod taking control form ipad ... how do i stop it?

music app on iPad. Play and use the airplay button to send the output to a homepod.

the music plays.

stop the music ... how?

the iPad does not seem to be playing the music ... it seems to be the homepod ... but the hoomepod has no controls (touch if you can reach ... siri disabled (broken) ...

how do i send music to my homepod without it taking control?

(btw. Siri is disabled because it pre-empts siri on my phone/pad/mac ... it then proceeds to tell me that it cannot do that! But my phone can ... all i wanted to do is set an alarm! ... incredible that i cannot ask the homepod to set an alarm for 20 minutes time! /rant)

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 10:13 AM

See Remote control for HomePod, not using AirPlay - Apple Community for a way to take control from your device. The handover of the AirPlay stream from your device to the HomePod is generally a good move unless you're on limited data, as it frees up your device for other tasks, or saves its battery. See also Use Personal Requests on HomePod - Apple Support. Depending on your wording Siri may think you're making a personal request when you're not intending to. "Hey Siri, set a timer for 20 minutes" ought to work.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Folbo

See Remote control for HomePod, not using AirPlay - Apple Community for a way to take control from your device. The handover of the AirPlay stream from your device to the HomePod is generally a good move unless you're on limited data, as it frees up your device for other tasks, or saves its battery. See also Use Personal Requests on HomePod - Apple Support. Depending on your wording Siri may think you're making a personal request when you're not intending to. "Hey Siri, set a timer for 20 minutes" ought to work.

tt2

Jan 6, 2020 2:03 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply.

I read through the linked article ... and thought what a complex UI and unintuitive UI !!!

As to saving my battery or the ridiculous power of an iPhone for other tasks ... I have but one task ... play music that I can control easily!!!! ... It seems Apple still cannot do Music properly ... broken macOS app (the new Catalina one has only added to existing bugs ... reported but not fixed) ... the phone app has an complex UI ... why should half my screen be showing my history and be unable to stop the playing instantly ...? !!! BTW If I want to see history ... Put it in a different place ... incredible that from complexity snatched from the jaws of elegent simplicity.

WRT Siri ... what can I say 'Hey Siri set an alarm for 30 minutes' ... sorry I cannot do that!!!! Really!!! in the presence of an iPad and an iPhone ... that heap of HomePod cannot set an alarm and will not let other devices do it either.

Sorry ... not pointed at you tt2 ... just frustrated by Apple not producing what it did a decade ago.

airplay homepod taking control form ipad ... how do i stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.