Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clear off storage on my iPod?

I have a bunch of storage under other on my iPod I want to delete this to add more music

iPod, iOS 11

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 3:32 AM

There will always be an amount of storage allocated to Other, but if you feel that it's excessive and you synchronise your iPod with an iTunes Library (that is, your iTunes on your computer), you could try a Sync with iTunes.

Looking on my 128GB iPod this morning, the Other section appears to be quite large. I've connected it to my computer and although I'm still waiting for it to appear in iTunes (it takes far too long!) - oh, it's just shown up (after about four minutes).

Anyway, even before it appeared in iTunes, the iPod showed that the Other had significantly reduced. Once it did show up, iTunes reported the Other to be just 2.2GB, which I think isn't too bad. (The capacity of the iPod is reported as 119.21GB)

So, it looks as though either the iPod is mis-reporting the storage allocation or connecting to iTunes resolved the issue. Who knows?

When I disconnected the iPod from iTunes, I noticed that the storage report on the iPod once again showed a large amount of Other, but that immediately changed to a much lower amount.

If a Sync fails to reduce the Other to an acceptable level, then a Restore of the iPod should sort it out. However - a Restore is a drastic step. It will delete everything from your iPod and put back only what music is in your Library. Apps and their data will have to be downloaded again, but if the data isn't backed up. You will lose it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2019 3:32 AM in response to Ravendog17

There will always be an amount of storage allocated to Other, but if you feel that it's excessive and you synchronise your iPod with an iTunes Library (that is, your iTunes on your computer), you could try a Sync with iTunes.

Looking on my 128GB iPod this morning, the Other section appears to be quite large. I've connected it to my computer and although I'm still waiting for it to appear in iTunes (it takes far too long!) - oh, it's just shown up (after about four minutes).

Anyway, even before it appeared in iTunes, the iPod showed that the Other had significantly reduced. Once it did show up, iTunes reported the Other to be just 2.2GB, which I think isn't too bad. (The capacity of the iPod is reported as 119.21GB)

So, it looks as though either the iPod is mis-reporting the storage allocation or connecting to iTunes resolved the issue. Who knows?

When I disconnected the iPod from iTunes, I noticed that the storage report on the iPod once again showed a large amount of Other, but that immediately changed to a much lower amount.

If a Sync fails to reduce the Other to an acceptable level, then a Restore of the iPod should sort it out. However - a Restore is a drastic step. It will delete everything from your iPod and put back only what music is in your Library. Apps and their data will have to be downloaded again, but if the data isn't backed up. You will lose it.

How do I clear off storage on my iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.