Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generic Icons

I am running Mojave 10.14.6. Some of my apps have starting have generic icons in the dock, in the applications folder, and in launchpad. If I get information on one of the apps, the proper icon shows in the preview. I tried deleting the finder plist with no success, and a Safe Boot has done nothing. A power outage shut down the computer last night. Any other suggestions?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 5:14 AM

I ran a few maintenance programs using Clean My Mac, did a Safe Boot, and now 99% of the icons have reappeared. They seem to be coming back over time, which seems illogical, but I have all the important ones back.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 2, 2020 8:08 PM in response to TR3B

Hello TR3B,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to see the app icons in the Dock on your Mac after a power outage. Since you already tried safe mode, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

If you're still having this issue, you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using macOS Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Cheers!

Generic Icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.