Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable To Restore Application Icons in MacOS Mojave

For some reason the icons for several applications (e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner, Dictionary, Keynote, Maps, etc.) have changed and I'm unable to restore them. I'm running macOS 10.14.6 Mojave and I've tried selecting the app > Get Info > selecting the icon at the top > Backspace, but this doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, tips for how I might restore the "native" icons for these apps? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 9:48 PM

Below commands in Terminal to Reset the IconCache.

sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \;

&

sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.iconservices -exec rm -rf {} \;

Hope it helps.

2 replies

Feb 6, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Sharhari

Thanks very much for your reply and assistance. When I applied the first command in Terminal I got "operation not permitted" multiple times as the command executed. When I then applied the second command in Terminal I got "no such file or directory." However, when I rebooted the computer almost all of the icons were restored. A couple, e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner for example, did not restore the default icon, so I reinstalled the apps and their icons reverted to their defaults. Problem solved. Again, Thank You Very Much for your assistance.

Unable To Restore Application Icons in MacOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.