Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Furious with Apple (lack of) support

My SO purchased a new Apple Watch 5 for me for Christmas with the cellular capability. She lives in Switzerland. I live in the US. She didn't know it wouldn't work with the networks here. I was hopeful that in talking to Apple I might be able to send it in and have it replaced with a US model. But as it turns out, I was told to sell it and buy a new one...but the Apple tech did say "yeah, you'll probably lose some money because it's used now, but you shouldn't need to spend too much more to get the new one."

Hey Apple...is this really what top line customer service is? I spent two years helping you set up your Apple Care facilities throughout Latin America and I know what you spend sending KBBs and KGBs back and forth. But someone spends $500 on your product and your level of support is "yeah, sell it and buy another one"? I get that she shouldn't have believed the salesperson that it would work anywhere, but still.

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 5:53 PM

Similar questions

19 replies

Dec 31, 2019 6:58 AM in response to Rudegar

Great.

Do any users have a better solution than the one provided by Apple? Is there a software patch that can be installed? Is there any configuration changes that can be made?

Networks in the US and Switzerland are both functioning on the 700MHz band, so I would assume the signal tuning wouldn't need to be changed.

I don't assume Apple made completely different components for an LTE version and GSM version? If that were the case, I would expect the GSM version to be more valuable because it's more complex since it manages both cellular and data.

Dec 31, 2019 2:23 PM in response to BisogniTX

No, they are not using the same channels of LTE and there is no software fix around this. Your only other choice would be to return it to and Apple Store in the EU and get your money back then purchase one in the US. Or don’t use the cellular function on the one you were given. (What cell carrier do you use on your iPhone, not all are Watch compatible).

Same thing would have happened if they had purchased an iPhone, brought it to you and then you needed warranty service.

Jan 1, 2020 12:38 AM in response to deggie

The carrier I use is AT&T, which I see is compatible.

Unfortunately I can't return the watch at this point because the vendor only allows 14 days, and she purchased it about three weeks ago.

What surprised me more is that the trade-in program on the Apple site only offered me $100 for the trade-in. At this point I guess I'll just not have the cellular service because the alternative is to try to find a direct person to sell it to, suffering a loss of $100-200.

The entire situation has me very bitter on Apple's service. I used to watch components get swapped and moved between regions by the pallet load.

Jan 1, 2020 5:19 PM in response to deggie

Grumbling about the FCC relates to their allowing/disallowing specific frequencies for cellular use in the U.S., which happen to be different from other regions of the world.

Apple using different cellular radios, is a space/power saving measure for the Apple Watch. A chip that covers all the LTE frequencies used by all the cellular providers around the world is larger and more power hungry than chips that cover just a subset used in specific regions of the world.

Chances are that around the time a cellular chip vendor reduces the size and power for a universal LTE radio chip, the cellular standard will have moved on to the G5. But today G5 is so short range and extremely power hungry on phones that if you use only G5, the phone battery will be dead in hours. It may be years before the size/power needs of a G5 radio chip is reduced enough for an Apple Watch.

And if case you are wondering if reduced power can be ignored by maybe some fancy new battery technology. Remember just about every bit if battery power used by the Apple Watch is turned into heat. Ignoring power consumption will just turn the Apple Watch into a "Branding Iron". All that improved battery technology can do for the Apple Watch is let it run longer on a single charge. I cannot really be used to support more power hungry chips.

Jan 1, 2020 5:58 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I'm not sure why are are directing this to me, grumbling about the frequencies allowed for use in this country has nothing to do with the thread so grumble away if you want but it isn't pertinent. As to the rest of your post thank you captain obvious.

Please re-read the original question. This is exactly the result of the different bands dictated by the US regulators at the FCC. Without this parochial approach toward equipment and allocations, we’d have one fewer set of LTE bands in use world-wide, rather than the three presently in use, and the parallel hardware those require. Of all the countries Apple supports with the Apple Watch, this watch works in all but two places. The US being one of those two. This being a mess that all traces back to the US FCC. So... for those of us here that are “furious” about this and similar broadband-related messes, also do remember to vent at the US FCC.

Jan 1, 2020 6:58 PM in response to deggie

Yeah, my bad. Three countries with weird requirements, two of which very likely made the best of a bad situation and followed the FCC. The regulators across the rest of the world managed to settle on an LTE configuration that can be supported with one Watch model; the one that the poster here now has. Which works everywhere but in the US, Canada and Mexico.

Jan 1, 2020 7:16 PM in response to MrHoffman

My understanding is there is one set of bands and this was established by a consortium and not set by the FCC. But as to this particular issue Apple could have chosen a different band to use for the North American model or for the rest of the world model. They had many to choose from. I've not read anything that said the FCC demanded that Apple use one for North America and another for the rest of the world. Can you share a link?

Furious with Apple (lack of) support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.