Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate from Lightroom to Photos

I have an extensive Adobe Lightroom catalog with years of photos, mostly stored in RAW format. From what I understand Adobe has gone subscription-only, and my current version of Lightroom will soon stop working with releases of macOS.

I want to move my Lightroom catalog over to Photos, since I rarely do detailed photo editing any more and just want to preserve the photos. The problem is two fold. First, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do so, much less preserve my categories and so on. The photos are stored by date (folder for 2001, 2002, etc, with subfolders for days). Inside Lightroom I have categories like "Summer Trip 2001." If I just import all the photos into Photos, they'll just be there, no albums, all organization just gone, and I want to avoid that.

Also, I want to be sure they come over as RAW, not JPEG, but I'm not sure that Photos will store them that way.

Has anyone else made the switch from Lightroom to Photos, please, and if so did you find software, tricks, plug ins, or whatever to make the transition easier?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:42 AM

If you hold down the Option key while dragging the thumbnail to the Desktop you'll get the original file, RAW or jpeg.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 1, 2020 7:06 AM in response to mjruss

You're travelling from a much more powerful professional grade application to a weaker, give-away consumer one. There is no easy way to do it. There are mp plug-in etc, to help, as frankly, the traffic is usually the other way. Your best bet is to work in batches - say, year by year - exporting from Lightroom and then importing to Photos, recreating your structure as you go.

Also, be sure you export a batch and use it as a test run. See how metadata is handled and so on. Take the time to explore the options available to you in Photos. You may not edit much anymore, as you say, it Photos is also a much more limited photo manager. Photos is a give-away, and you get what you pay for.

That means that you export, writing your metadata to the files, from Lightroom to the Finder, in what ever format you choose - original raws and/or edited Jpegs or tiffs. Assuming that the camera you use/used is supported then Photos will have no problem importing the Raws. And these Raws will be perfectly possible to retrieve again using there Export command in Photos (file -> Export -> Unmodified Original). There is some confusion here as some folks assume that drag and drop or sharing to another app will, in fact, yield the Raw. It doesn't. It yields a Jpeg preview. Only using the Export command can you access the Raw.

Migrate from Lightroom to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.