Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV+ home video storage?

The TV+ app is supposed to be the new 'Theatre' I guess.

Does the Catalina version of TV+ allow storage of home video's in iCloud ?

I now have both photos, iMovie and TV+ eating up home video storage space.

TV+ does not automatically use iCloud so I can't access home video's on mobile devices (other than homesharing), nor use the appleTV box for it.

I want to limit the number of places I store my home-vids, and display them on mobile devices and my appleTV.

How would you tackle this?.

Thanks,

Hoot

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 10:42 AM

None of the content within the TV app counts towards iCloud storage. As above, if you want to store home videos in the cloud they would be part of the Photos app, which syncs using the iCloud Photo library feature.

If you want to stream the local copy you would use home sharing, which has now been moved to system preferences in Mac OS, and the Apple TV would still access that content using the Computers app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Hoot Posthorn

None of the content within the TV app counts towards iCloud storage. As above, if you want to store home videos in the cloud they would be part of the Photos app, which syncs using the iCloud Photo library feature.

If you want to stream the local copy you would use home sharing, which has now been moved to system preferences in Mac OS, and the Apple TV would still access that content using the Computers app.

Jan 2, 2020 3:18 AM in response to Hoot Posthorn

Actually the solution is both the answers provided by Urquhart1244 and vazandrew combined.

Thank you both for your insights, gentlemen.

Some comments on the topic:

Theatre is a dodo. As dead as.

Theatre itself is a package containing actual vids in various sizes, be careful not to throw it away but right-click Theatre, view content of the package and move the video's you want to keep to somewhere else on your disk or cloud storage.

Be sure to take the highest resolution version file out of the package.

You can import them into TV app, so you have a workable interface to display them on your mac. But that's as far as TV's usability goes.

iMovie doesn't have an export into Photos.

iMovie complicates the matter by offering ProRes, which outputs a MOV file. photos is not Better is to use HIGH quality, that outputs to MP4.

Homesharing is the best way of getting your vids to play on your appleTV box. It works with older versions of the appletv (I have a generation 2 box)

TV is the logical replacement for Theatre. I agree that Photos already has the bindings into iCloud which gives access to the video's from your devices. But using photos is too much overhead.

On top of that, photos trims video's that happen to be longer than 15 minutes!!

TV however is a very badly executed application. It stores its media in the iTunes ecosystem, You can't select thumbnails, and lacks a host of tools and features that enable the user to manage his content proper.

With all its millions Apple doesn't seem to be able to define a vision regarding a market leading set of tools on management of media. That's a let-down.

TV+ home video storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.