Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storing home videos and tv programmes in icloud

I have about 60gb of home videos and TV programmes I keep these on my google drive because, and this is my question … if I keep them on iCloud, when I view them they are downloaded to my iPad. This means I cannot view more than the space on my iPad - yes eventually they are returned to iCloud, but until then they use up space on my iPad?

if I want to view them on my TV via Apple TV iCloud Drive is not available.

yes I have home sharing, but this seems to mean I must have an iMac.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:41 PM

Hi Tony Rees,

Thanks for the additional information. Since the videos are in iCloud Drive, you will need to get them to iCloud Photos in order to get them on your Apple TV. You will either have to load them individually (maybe one at a time because of storage restrictions on your iPad). Then you will need to get them from the Files app to the Photos app on the iPad so the video can upload to iCloud Photos. Next you can delete them from Files and move to the next video. As a workaround you can use a computer (Mac or Windows) to download the videos to the computer from iCloud Drive and then upload to iCloud Photos. There is no direct mechanism that will put these videos directly into iCloud Photos in order to natively view them on your Apple TV.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Tony Rees

Hi Tony Rees,

Thanks for the additional information. Since the videos are in iCloud Drive, you will need to get them to iCloud Photos in order to get them on your Apple TV. You will either have to load them individually (maybe one at a time because of storage restrictions on your iPad). Then you will need to get them from the Files app to the Photos app on the iPad so the video can upload to iCloud Photos. Next you can delete them from Files and move to the next video. As a workaround you can use a computer (Mac or Windows) to download the videos to the computer from iCloud Drive and then upload to iCloud Photos. There is no direct mechanism that will put these videos directly into iCloud Photos in order to natively view them on your Apple TV.

Take care.

Dec 29, 2021 6:58 AM in response to Tony Rees

Hello Tony Rees,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you want to view your home videos and tv programs on your Apple TV. We're happy to assist you with this.

You don't have to have an iMac to use Home Sharing, you can set it up with a Mac or PC:

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices

You can also View iCloud Photos on Apple TV this way.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities, and have a great day!

Dec 29, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Corrie84

Thanks for getting back, but what I mean is, if I have 60gb of home videos and TV programmes in iCloud I loaded them from an old Mac, but now, say, I don’t have a Mac or an iMac(?) I can only view them on Apple TV by screen sharing with my iPad BUT, when I do this the home video I’m watching say 3gb will download to my iPad. Therefore, how much space I have on my iPad will determine how many videos I can watch, and also what I can do with my iPad.

I suppose what I’m saying is Home Sharing should stream from iCloud? Otherwise I must buy a Mac just to Home share???

am I missing something??

I think I can play them on iPad from google drive and then screen share, but shouldn’t I be able to do this from iCloud ?

Dec 30, 2021 2:29 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Yes, indeed.

so, if I have this correct, Apple seems to want us to replace the Mac with an iPad - then the iPad must have as much memory as the home videos, photos etc in Photos or at least close to it, as all editing has to be done on the iPad as well as “normal tasks”?

downloaded videos can’t be sent back to iCloud until …

really appreciate these “chats”

storing home videos and tv programmes in icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.