Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to sign into Apple TV+ app on my Apple TV. I get the verification code on my phone, but I’m not getting an option to enter that verification on my device.

I’m trying to sign into my Apple TV+ app on my Apple TV. I get the verification code on my phone, but the Apple TV is not prompting me to enter the verification code.

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 11:04 AM

If you have a 3rd gen model then you need to enter the password and code together. Since there is a time limit you will need to enter the password, then manually request a code and add it to the password.

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

32 replies

Feb 10, 2020 1:08 PM in response to vazandrew

That's the entire problem. It never asks for the verification code so you can't put it in!

Let me help others. On AppleTV, Go to SETTINGS. scroll to iTunes Store. Select your Apple ID. Select Log Out. Immediately select Sign In and...wait for it...after you successfully enter you password (which isn't easy on AppleTV), you will be prompted for the six digit code. BAM, you're in. You need to do this AFTER trying to access content on AppleTV+. That's what generates the security alert and six digit code!

Gosh I hope this helps someone because my AppleTV nearly ended up in Lake Michigan. MAJOR FRUSTRATION!

Mar 27, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Timetravel58

If you are submitting the password and then getting the code, you are doing it wrong.

You need to enter the code at the same time you enter the password, which is why instead of submitting the password and waiting to get the code, you need to manually request the code first. So then you can enter the password+code in the same entry box at the same time.

Follow the steps in the support document provided by vazandrew to get the code before you submit the password.

Here it is again: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Jan 29, 2020 6:44 PM in response to Rousslang

If you will note I stated above that the password and code are to be entered together. This is because 2 Factor authentication is optimized for newer software, and it will not prompt for a code when using an older model. As above, you will need to enter the password, then manually request the code and add that to the password (e.g. password123456)

Jan 29, 2020 7:41 PM in response to Rousslang

You would need to be signed in with your Apple ID in order to use Apple TV Plus or any other subscription tied to that account.

When signing in you would be prompted to enter the email associated with that account, once submitting that you would then be promoted for the password. However, if you just submit that password it will either come back with an error or loop back. So you would need to make sure you request the code and add it before hitting submit.

Feb 9, 2020 11:28 AM in response to asruss

It would be at least a 3rd gen, the 2nd gen doesn't have access to Apple TV Plus and the 1st gen doesn't have access to any 3rd party content.

When signing in on an older model you would need to enter the password and code together, as explained above. You would have only been able to opt out of 2 factor authentication within the first 2 weeks, however it would make the account less secure and disable features that require that extra security.

Feb 9, 2020 6:25 PM in response to vazandrew

I have the same problem and the replies make no sense. There is no place to sign in with "password and code together." Not to mention, WE ARE ALREADY SIGNED IN. If we sign out, will we be promoted to sign in with password and code together?

I'm afraid this is just another example of Apple not supporting older hardware. This wouldn't be an issue if the darn hardware didn't last so long.

Problem NOT RESOLVED!

Feb 9, 2020 10:01 PM in response to rolf116

The OP clearly stated that they were trying to sign in and the verification is what is required to authenticate prior to sign in so if you are facing the same issue then you wouldn’t be signed in.

I will reiterate what I posted above, not sure what it is that isn’t making sense.

When signing in you would enter the email associated with the ID, then you would be prompted to enter the password. This is where you would add the code, as it will not prompt to enter it separately on an older model and requires it be part of the password. However, there is a time limit so to avoid that it is required to manually request the code, refer to link posted above. This does in fact work and many users on older hardware have successfully used this method.

The 3rd Gen is over 7 years old, however Apple is still very much supporting it. This is evidenced by the fact that they continue to provide firmware updates and created a server version of the Tv app for that model. However, 2 factor authentication is optimized for newer software that the 3rd Gen hardware is unable to run. Therefore, it requires the aforementioned method.

Mar 27, 2020 2:49 PM in response to rolf116

Sorry; but this is still not working. I have followed the steps exactly. It even prompts me to put the password that was sent to my phone in after i put in my password. So I did it that was as well. *******####### and it did nothing.

Im simi savy in log on details. I understand how it works with the password then phone then number steps. So please understand the frustration.

I have gone to ITunes.

Log on

Put in email

Put in password

Received ###### on phone

Then TV says sorry the password is wrong.

Now with is all while I am logged on to my Itunes account and repeatedly logging on and off to confirm my password.

This should not be this hard.

Mar 31, 2020 3:30 PM in response to rolf116

im at that point right now. I have entered my I have entered my password and 6 diget code 3 times to no avail and now kicked off to go to iTunes to find my password which I know and have written down in front of me. I waited started over, same result. ???? I will go in and signoff and start over. Thanks for the help..

Apr 13, 2020 1:30 PM in response to vazandrew

I have reset my password as prompted then when I get the verification code I enter it immediately following the password no spaces the message says I entered the wrong passcode but I did not in addition I cannot see the entire entry I have tried this too many times already & know that if I try one more I will need to change the passcode again what should I do I cannot acces my Apple TV

May 9, 2020 1:14 PM in response to vazandrew

The problem is that you have to attempt to log in in order to get the code, then when the instructions pop up to enter the code after your password the screen sits at "Accessing Apple TV" and does nothing.

It never prompts you to enter the username and password+code again.

That is why people are so confused.

Signing out of iTunes ID from settings and signing back in with the code worked for me as SOMEONE ELSE stated.

Trying to sign into Apple TV+ app on my Apple TV. I get the verification code on my phone, but I’m not getting an option to enter that verification on my device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.