Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro has the Prohibitory Symbol and I cannot install anything to my hard drive

My MacBook PRO 13; Version:OS X 10.11.6 - has the Prohibitory Symbol and I cannot install anything to my hard drive. My Hard Drive dissappears when I ask to re-install the boot sequence. Can I download the information I need online and re-boot my computer without loosing data?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 8:50 AM

Your Mac appear to be a 2011 model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.4-13-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

The prohibitory sign appears during the boot up sequence when your Mac appeared to be bootable, but early in the process, a major component was found to be damaged or completely wrong version for this computer.

First, boot to recovery, run Disk Utility and repair your drive. Then try again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2020 8:50 AM in response to adixon4

Your Mac appear to be a 2011 model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.4-13-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

The prohibitory sign appears during the boot up sequence when your Mac appeared to be bootable, but early in the process, a major component was found to be damaged or completely wrong version for this computer.

First, boot to recovery, run Disk Utility and repair your drive. Then try again.

Jan 1, 2020 8:56 AM in response to adixon4

For the benefit of others: OP has a 13-inch Late 2011 MacBookPro8,1

adixon,

I'm not sure downloading anything is going to help at this point.

That sounds like a failing hard drive but, in that generation MBP, the hard drive cable can wear and the symptoms miic a failing hard drive. In tht case replace the cable before giving up on the hard drive is a good step. The cable is cheap, under US$18, available (see here); and easy to change at home (see this). If that does not fix the problem and you have to install a new drive, the new drive starts service with a fresh cable.

My MacBook Pro has the Prohibitory Symbol and I cannot install anything to my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.