Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used Disk Utility to reinstall macOS but the version that it has given me now gives me the prohibitory symbol upon power up.

I have for awhile been flirting with a laptop that was too full and every time delete enough files to be able to download the update file. When the laptop went through a restart cycle in then decided to try to install the new OS but lo and behold, it now said there was not enough room to unpack the update and I got stuck in a cycle of not being able to log in because it kept trying to install an update it didnt have room to do so. So I held command R on start up and did an the Disk Utility repair that came back with no errors, and then also reinstalled the OS, but now upon book i up I get the prohibitory symbol instead.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 4:49 PM

For reference: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

The solution is to erase the Mac and reinstall macOS. When it finishes, you will be asked if you want to transfer content from another Mac or a Time Machine backup. If you did not create a backup prior to attempting the reinstallation, then you will need to repopulate its contents anew.

Before arriving at that unpleasant conclusion, follow Step 4 of that document (contact Apple Support). Perhaps they can come up with another solution.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 4:49 PM in response to gmacphail

For reference: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

The solution is to erase the Mac and reinstall macOS. When it finishes, you will be asked if you want to transfer content from another Mac or a Time Machine backup. If you did not create a backup prior to attempting the reinstallation, then you will need to repopulate its contents anew.

Before arriving at that unpleasant conclusion, follow Step 4 of that document (contact Apple Support). Perhaps they can come up with another solution.

I used Disk Utility to reinstall macOS but the version that it has given me now gives me the prohibitory symbol upon power up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.