Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second monitor not coming on after sleep

This appears to be a standing issue with MacBook Pros. My wife's Benq does it with her MacBook and my Samsung 4k monitor does it with my 2013 MBP. When I wake the computer the second display (hooked up via thunderbolt) does not come back on consistently. Sometimes I hit the power button to force it back to sleep and then wake it up and it sometimes it works and comes back on. More often than not I must unplug the power of the second monitor (for 5 seconds) then plug it back in and it usually appears.

Has anybody solved this?

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:16 PM

I have a similar issue. MBPro 16" (as Display 3), Apple Thunderbolt Display As Display 2 via USBC to Thunderbolt adapter, and LG Ultrafine as Display 1 via USB thunderbolt cable. If the OS 10.15.2 turns off the displays, when I wake up the system, the Thunderbolt display stays off (even though there are open windows on it). Kludge is to put MacBook back to sleep and re-wake. Displays then come on and behave. Also recently, if the computer times itself to sleep, it crashes the next morning.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 7:16 PM in response to David Dodge

I have a similar issue. MBPro 16" (as Display 3), Apple Thunderbolt Display As Display 2 via USBC to Thunderbolt adapter, and LG Ultrafine as Display 1 via USB thunderbolt cable. If the OS 10.15.2 turns off the displays, when I wake up the system, the Thunderbolt display stays off (even though there are open windows on it). Kludge is to put MacBook back to sleep and re-wake. Displays then come on and behave. Also recently, if the computer times itself to sleep, it crashes the next morning.

Feb 10, 2020 9:42 AM in response to David Dodge

Hi. I can confirm that I also have this issue. I have two Apple Thunderbolt displays that are attached to my Macbook Pro 16 via Apple branded Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters. When waking from sleep one or both of the displays will typically (though admittedly not always) fail to wake. The only consistent fix I have found is unplugging and replugging in one of the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters (i.e. unplug and replug in one of the monitors). Interestingly, it doesn't appear to matter which display (and adapter) is unplugged from the computer; even if I unplug the working monitor (if only one failed to wake) and plug it back in both displays wake.

This is VERY annoying. Apple - please find a fix!

Mar 27, 2020 6:58 AM in response to David Dodge

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Feb 6, 2020 5:40 PM in response to David Dodge

I thought it might be a solution to try to remember to manually put it to sleep when I get up from the desk. To the contrary, if I do this and do not rewake the computer until the following morning, it will crash. Assume you have seen the other long thread on usb C devices causing the computer (it seems almost any vintage of MacBook Pro) to crash upon wake from sleep? Alas, 13.5.3 does not address the fault.

Mar 5, 2020 11:18 AM in response to harriss73

I also have the problem but the fixes above don't always work. Sometimes the monitor goes off after being on for awhile and having open windows that, of course, I can't see when the monitor is off since the MacBook thinks the monitor is on, but screen is off. Monitor is connected via HDMI through an Apple HDMI to Thunderbolt adaptor. I've tried different HDMI cables - no change. Disconnecting and reconnecting has no effect. Restart doesn't work. Today a Shutdown and Restart did work.

Apple, please fix it!!!!

Mar 30, 2020 9:09 AM in response to David Dodge

I have since tried connecting my Samsung 4K several different ways. It does not make any difference. I am increasingly convinced this is a Samsung issue. My wife uses a Benq Monitor and it's mostly fine. I now have a new 16" MBP versus my 2013 MBP. This makes no difference. The monitor often doesn't come on after sleep and I must unplug the monitor and plug it back in to convince it to connect.

Apr 11, 2020 8:10 AM in response to C_Tatman

I am glad this worked for you, but I have tried two different computers, several operating systems and my Samsung continues to behave the same, often failing to wake up when my computer has been sleeping for any length of time. It can often recover from short term sleeping, but not longer term sleeps. I always get it working, but unplugging the monitor seems like a blunt solution to what should be a simple thing - the monitor should recognize the computer is awake and come on. Sometimes the computer still thinks the monitor is on - I can't move my mouse into the second montor's space, but the screen does not come back on. A little frustrating.

Second monitor not coming on after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.