Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync iTunes library with new iPhone

Hi there. I have iTunes version 12.10.3.1 on my laptop and with over 3000 songs in my library, some purchased and some installed from CD. I used to have an iPhone 6s synced successfully with this library but when I come to upgrade my phone to an iPhone XR I subscribed to Apple Music and moved my sim card to the new phone and continued to listen to my entire iTunes library. I cancelled my subscription to Apple Music a few days ago and tried to sync my iPhone XR to iTunes for the first time, but only the purchased songs now appear on my new phone and the rest of the library is greyed out. When I click on my device in iTunes and click on Music it says 'iCloud music library is on' and 'iPhone XR can access your iCloud Music Library. Songs can be downloaded and played via Wi-Fi or a mobile network'. What do I need to do to successfully sync my entire library to my new phone?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 1:05 PM

Hi Welsh-Girl,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. I see that only purchased music is available after you subscribed to Apple Music, and then cancelled that subscription. I know how important having access to all your music is, and I'm glad to help with this.

It sounds like what might have happened is that an option was picked that allowed Apple Music to match all the music in your library, and that cancelling that subscription now only shows purchased music.

Since you no longer have Apple Music, you can turn off Sync Library, to stop those prompts.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If you have a backup of your iTunes Library on your PC, you'll be able to restore your iTunes library and get back the music that was installed from CD.

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC

Best Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 1:05 PM in response to Welsh-Girl

Hi Welsh-Girl,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. I see that only purchased music is available after you subscribed to Apple Music, and then cancelled that subscription. I know how important having access to all your music is, and I'm glad to help with this.

It sounds like what might have happened is that an option was picked that allowed Apple Music to match all the music in your library, and that cancelling that subscription now only shows purchased music.

Since you no longer have Apple Music, you can turn off Sync Library, to stop those prompts.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If you have a backup of your iTunes Library on your PC, you'll be able to restore your iTunes library and get back the music that was installed from CD.

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC

Best Regards.

Unable to sync iTunes library with new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.