Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to lock notes

I'm unable to lock my notes in the note app. I have the app set to sync with iCloud, but for some reason I'm not able to lock them. I have previously locked notes that I am able to unlock with the password and Touch ID.

When I go to lock a new note, I'm asked to type in my password. I don't know what password they're asking for. I've tried every password I have, including the ones used to unlock other notes, but nothing is working. I keep getting the message saying, "Lock Note. That's not the correct password. Please try again."

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 12:26 PM

Hi icepenguin19,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having trouble locking notes in the Notes app. I'd like to help.

Thanks for letting me know you are able to unlock previously locked notes without issue, and that your notes are synced to your iCloud account. It's also helpful to know the error you are running into when you do attempt to lock a new note. Prior to troubleshooting, I would recommend trying to restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support, and make sure it is on the latest iOS version available: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Since your notes are connected to iCloud, first try toggling iCloud notes off and back on to re-sync the notes. Does that help?

If the issue remains, what happens when you attempt to change your Notes password? If you can't change it because it says the old password is incorrect, can you try resetting it instead? Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2020 12:26 PM in response to icepenguin19

Hi icepenguin19,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having trouble locking notes in the Notes app. I'd like to help.

Thanks for letting me know you are able to unlock previously locked notes without issue, and that your notes are synced to your iCloud account. It's also helpful to know the error you are running into when you do attempt to lock a new note. Prior to troubleshooting, I would recommend trying to restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support, and make sure it is on the latest iOS version available: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Since your notes are connected to iCloud, first try toggling iCloud notes off and back on to re-sync the notes. Does that help?

If the issue remains, what happens when you attempt to change your Notes password? If you can't change it because it says the old password is incorrect, can you try resetting it instead? Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Jan 14, 2020 11:17 PM in response to Chris_D13

I have the same issue as icepenguin19. Notes (iOS 13.3) are all in iCloud on my iPhone 8, I can unlock an already-locked note with touchID or password just fine, but trying to lock a new note on the iPhone always results in "That's not the correct password. Please try again."

I have restarted the phone, and also toggled off the Notes switch under Settings > iCloud (deleting Notes from iPhone), then on again. Same issue.

Then I go to my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. (10.13.6) and with the same iCloud-based Notes. Same issue—unlock is fine, trying to lock a note results in a rejection of the password.

I guess I am down to the point of changing my Notes password. This scares me a little, as I don't want to get locked out. An application acting buggy around passwords is nothing to take lightly, especially with the importance of some of the Notes I have.

Jan 20, 2020 8:10 PM in response to icepenguin19

Icepenguin19, you reset your password, rather than changing it? I am curious if you tried changing the password first. I plan to change my password after removing the lock from all notes (need to do so from 32 notes)—nice idea for playing it safe, thanks.

Reading the help, resetting your password potentially leaves behind the original password in some way, so I plan to change my password instead.

Do not like this buggy behavior in Notes!

Unable to lock notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.