Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder crashes when copying from one external HD to another and when moving folders around and renaming them

I've come to the end of my gigantic digital archive reorganization...and am getting to the end of my patience. I've restarted the computer at least ten times in the past three hours.

I usually have three external hard drives, as my data is too voluminous to fit my internal 500gb SSD. The external drives I am using currently are elaborated below.

Over the past week, I have completely reorganized my local digital archives. Of course, this involves massive work for the Finder: moving files and folders around, renaming folders and files, deleting many files and folders, and emptying the Trash often. Of course, this involves a lot of writing to these external hard drives as well as to the internal SSD.

My workflow normally involves whatever I am working on being stored in the internal SSD. In the course of a project, I save early and save often, doing so obsessively - never using an auto-save feature except in video games.

I also write from the internal SSD to both external drives very often. I've had hard drive crashes before, and backing up my data has saved me twice over the years. I always back up my data manually, never even trusting Time Machine or any other automatic file-saving tech.

Copying from the internal SSD to the external drives has never been an issue, and it isn't now. Doing intricate work in a folder in terms of making new nested folders and really moving stuff around bogs down Finder after a while. Moving files larger than 500mb from one external drive to another brings Finder to its knees, too.

Eventually, as I go about copying, deleting, and emptying the Trash, I get the beach ball, and pressing the 'X' button on a stuck copying operation does not work. I always have to restart the computer.

Restarting the computer does not always repopulate the external drives on Finder. The one below named 'Principal' almost always repopulates without issue, but any other drives I have plugged in (never more than three) either don't repopulate in Finder or take a long time to do so.

And even when everything repopulates, pressing a folder-arrow to bring up nested items sometimes does not work. When that happens, I have to restart, and it can take as much as a half-hour or more to recover from a Finder crash.

I cannot remember having these issues before on my old iMac or on this maching - certainly not to this extent to where I am doubting for the first time my machine's ability to function. If I can't trust Finder, what on an Apple can I trust? Finder should be the most-stable application in MacOS, and at the moment, I can bring up FireFox easier than I can bring up Finder.

Fortunately, I have not lost data due to any of this, and it may the file systems of my external drives are not as Apple-friendly as I thought. Additionally, I've no doubt the lack of a dedicated graphics card is contributing to my present woes.

I am clueless as to what to do next to bring stability in Finder back to my Mac. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Mojave 10.14.6

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 244.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.24f32

Volume name : Principal - MyBook for Mac

Volume type : Physical Volume

BSD device node : disk3s3

Mount point : /Volumes/Principal - MyBook for Mac

File system : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Connection : USB

Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14

Writable : Yes

Is case-sensitive : No

File system UUID : 1FE0FA16-3A8D-3921-8D52-F7597FF3CF28

Volume capacity : 2,000,231,030,784

Available space (Purgeable + Free) : 1,651,068,387,328

Purgeable space : 0

Free space : 1,651,068,387,328

Used space : 349,162,643,456

File count : 320,253

Owners enabled : No

Is encrypted : No

System Integrity Protection supported : No

Can be verified : Yes

Can be repaired : Yes

Bootable : No

Journaled : Yes

Disk number : 3

Partition number : 3

Media name :

Media type : Generic

Ejectable : Yes

Solid state : No

SMART status : Not Supported

Parent disks : disk3

Volume name : Dec 2019

Volume type : Unknown

BSD device node : disk2s2

Mount point : /Volumes/Dec 2019

File system : ExFAT

Connection : USB

Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14

Writable : Yes

Is case-sensitive : No

File system UUID : B80C5904-C31C-3DE6-84A0-F90E458E9D2D

Volume capacity : 2,000,188,080,128

Available space (Purgeable + Free) : 1,586,440,437,760

Purgeable space : 0

Free space : 1,586,440,437,760

Used space : 413,747,642,368

Owners enabled : No

Is encrypted : No

System Integrity Protection supported : No

Can be verified : Yes

Can be repaired : Yes

Bootable : No

Journaled : No

Disk number : 2

Partition number : 2

Media name :

Media type : Generic

Ejectable : Yes

Solid state : No

SMART status : Not Supported

Parent disks : disk2

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:52 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 5, 2020 3:12 PM in response to jeffrags2

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities, jeffrags2!

It sounds like your Finder is crashing when you try to move files or rename them. I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue.

Also, check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. 

Let me know the results and have a wonderful day!

Jan 5, 2020 4:23 PM in response to jeffrags2

When these external hard drives were new and first attached to your mac did you format them using Disk Utility.

It is recommended that you ignore any software that comes with any external drives you buy.

Simply attach them to your mac, open Disk Utility and format under the Erase button, give the Disk

a name, Format as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and for Scheme select GUID Partition Map., this is recommended

if the drives are only going to be used with macs, if you need to share with PC's then Ex-FAT on Master Boot Record.

If you are carrying out this extensive moving and deleting of files then it is best if the drives are connected

directly to the mac rather than through a hub. Instead of moving large blocks of files all at once break them down

into smaller chunks.

Make sure under System Preferences> Energy Saver that Put the hard disks to sleep when possible is unchecked.

Finder crashes when copying from one external HD to another and when moving folders around and renaming them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.